13. Lord Roeruiz

-Chase-

-Chase-

I was so angry that I could barely contain myself. After Aaliyah dropped me off, promising me we would find those fucking bastards, I entered the shop. I was not stable enough to go home yet. Eru quickly followed me before I could close the door, meowing quietly when I stopped to a halt, squeezing my bag in one hand.

I wanted to start breaking things. I put the bag away before the urge could get the best of me since the cocktails I had in there would probably wipe out the entire block if I threw it on the wall.

This was supposed to be over by now. They were supposed to be dead by now. And Dante was supposed to be free... I wasn't sure if I could live with this failure. How was I supposed to go to him and look him in the eye, knowing that I was unable to grant his wish to return to his normal life? Knowing that, because I was too late, so many of us were still held captive and tortured to death?

It was not over. I knew humans well enough to know they wouldn't stop. They were doing those experiments to make money, and they knew they were sitting on a goldmine. They already had a new place somewhere, most likely far away from here, where they were continuing their work.

And we had absolutely no leads left. Lena was the only person tied to that place I knew of, and Aaliyah couldn't give us any more details. The only person who could help us was Dante, and I did not want to make him talk about that place.

I went to sit down on the couch where I had first found Dante, trying to calm down. Eru jumped on my lap, looking miserable and giving me short, concerned meows. I petted her lightly.

"This was supposed to be over tonight," I told her. "I'm so glad I didn't tell Dante about this... He'd be disappointed..."

I sure as hell was disappointed in myself. I should've guessed they would move their operations elsewhere the second Dante had escaped. I should've gone straight to them the day I found him lying on this couch... I could've saved them all and put a stop to that madness...

Now it was too late.

"What is this...?"

I gritted my teeth together and took a deep breath when the air in front of me started twisting and turning. The center of the twirl turned black, and the whole thing quickly expanded to cover up half of the shop. In seconds, a tall, dark figure emerged from within the void.

Lord Roeruiz. My master.

"You've been acting recklessly, boy," the figure chuckled as he phased into being.

"Screw you," I muttered, crossing arms over my chest. "Why are you here? I don't need your lecture right now."

He snapped his fingers, and a handful of candles appeared out of thin air to float around us, illuminating his impressive physique from his massive hooves all the way up to his spiraling, black horns that were pointing back from his temples.