XXVI

Chapter 26 | LUNA AND THE ORIGIN OF THE SCAR

I wake up at 8:45 a.m. on the dot, not at all surprised to see that the annoying acoustic song has no effect on the nearby sleeping Vaughn.

I push myself to not lay back down on the cot, knowing that if I do, I'll fall back asleep again. After slowly getting up, I brush my hair and put a log in the woodstove.

After that, I silently eat some peanut butter before I eat a can of tuna.

They don't mix well together at all.

By the time I've brushed my teeth, and filled up a few water bottles, I notice Vaughn start to stir.

Crap...I really didn't mean to wake him up; I was trying to be quiet, in all honesty.

Quickly, I scramble outside, running to the outhouse before I leave.

When I come back in, Vaughn is sitting up on the futon, rubbing his eyes tiredly. "What are you doing?" He asks sleepily.

I'm almost tempted to grab a handful of snow, but then again...it's 9 in the morning, and he woke me up at noon. So...it's not entirely fair.

"Going to the village...?" I remind him.

At this, he moves his left hand away from his face, almost immediately appearing awake. "What? It's dark out still."

"Well, it's a little past nine, so the sun should be rising soon."

He sighs heavily, standing up. "Alright."

"You don't have to get up, y'know."

He doesn't say anything as he reaches into his cedar chest, pulling a sweatshirt over the white t-shirt he's wearing.

It's odd, seeing him tired and his movements this slow. I'm used to him being quick and telling me to get up.

It's a good thing I don't really care for revenge.

"Well, anyways. What did you say you needed? The other day, you gave me a list of items? I can't remember them."

I hear him mumble, "Forget about it," as he randomly pulls the black duffle bag literally out of nowhere.

And then it sort of clicks.

"Wait, what are you doing?" I ask.

"Going to the village," he replies nonchalantly.

But...

What?

He hasn't gone in months, and now he suddenly decides to go?

On the day I'm choosing to go? But why?

I had it all planned out, too...Now I have to maybe consider him in every aspect of my plan.