XXXII

"Gentle reader, may you never feel what I then felt! May your eyes never shed such stormy, scalding, heart-wrung tears as poured from mine. May you never appeal to Heaven in prayers so hopeless and so agised as in that hour left my lips: for never may you, like me, dread to be the instrument of evil to what you wholly love." Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

----

XXXII.              

Mrs Louisa Banes stood anxiously at the front door as she watched the four-horse carriage come to a stop before her house.

It had been one week since Eliza had returned home, and one week since her own precious child had wailed for her mother in a way that she had never done before, not even when she was a child.

Mrs Banes had been so sick with worry over Eliza, so desperately anxious for news of her safety. She knew her own mischievous daughter, and what she was capable of getting herself into. When Katy had written just over a fortnight ago, now, that Eliza was in the British Virgin Islands, Mrs Banes was relieved, and so very furious.

She was ready to scold Eliza within an inch of her life, and yet when she had seen her standing in her father's study, all anger had vanished in favour of holding her dear girl.

Eliza was many things, not one of them being a lady. And yet, how much every one of her qualities had vexed Mrs Banes over the years, she would have given every penny she had to see them again.

Mrs Banes did not know the girl upstairs. Eliza had vanished. She had barely eaten, barely slept, and had cried so much Mrs Banes was afraid she would die of thirst.

The minute she heard about Captain Tom Buckley, Mrs Banes disapproved of him. Who was he? Who was his family? Did he have a fortune? Did he own his own business? She knew that was her head talking, judging, as she tended to do.

But her heart saw the happiness, the light in Eliza's eyes as she spoke of her honourable captain. All she wanted was Eliza's happiness. Mrs Banes could see her daughter was very much in love, and she had quickly resigned to having a sea captain for a son-in-law.

Her heart had allowed her daughter to run off to meet with her captain, to bring him home to meet her parents. Mrs Banes knew that there needed to be several conversations before a formal announcement of an engagement could be made ... namely the excuse that they would all come up with for their meeting.

Mrs Banes had spread the word that Eliza was visiting with Harry's sister Penny, in her new marital home, for several months, so as not to tarnish her daughter's already delicate reputation.

Her head, however, knew the whole idea was wrong. And she was proved right when Eliza returned to her home in pieces, a fraction of the vivacious, spirited, and wondrous girl that had departed an hour earlier.

The Banes' footman went to the carriage, assisting the driver in letting down the step and starting to unload the trunks of the passengers. The footman paused to assist the travellers out of the carriage.

Four-and-a-half-year-old Lady Rachel Everett jumped down from the carriage first, dressed neatly in her dark travelling cloak, bright pink ribbons in her hair.

"Rachel," cheered Mrs Banes, extending her arms.

Little Rachel sprinted for her grandmother's arms and leapt up into them eagerly. Mrs Banes savoured the moment, before placing her back down to watch over Katy.

Katy followed with seventeen-month-old Lizzie on her ever-expanding hip. Mrs Banes rushed over to Katy, taking Lizzie from her, before kissing her daughter on the cheek.