thirteen

"She's gone."

"How is that possible?"

"They must have known we were coming."

"Again, I ask you, HOW?"

"We can't say for certain, but we believe they may have someone working on the inside."

"A double agent?"

"Yes."

"Any idea who?"

"We're looking into it."

"So where is she now?"

"We're not sure, but we have troops on the move. They can't be that far ahead of us."

"They?"

"Wyler and the girl they were traveling with. We didn't find them or their bodies at Ivanov's."

"Their bodies?"

"Yes. There were many casualties."

"How many?"

"Fifteen of our guys. At least 30 Unwanteds. They put up a good fight, but they were no match for our army."

"And the rest?"

"Some escaped, but they'll die from the cold or other 'natural' causes before they'll be able to reach help. The rest are being transported back here."

"Why are you bringing them here? They're useless to us now."

"Orders from the General."

"Interesting. Did he say what he wants to do with them?"

"No, I was assuming he would have told you that."

"He doesn't tell me much these days. He's disappointed that the launch has been delayed due to our....ineptitude, especially since we're nearing the end. Contact has been limited since phase four began. At this point, there's not a whole lot left to say until we see him in person."

"That'll be over six months from now."

"Yes, thank you. I'm aware of the time complexities of space travel. Now, do you have anything else to report?"

"Yes. One of the specialists from Pod C4 is missing. He's been gone now for several days. Video surveillance shows him leaving the grounds. We believe he is dead, but I thought you should know."

"Why would I care about a missing specialist? We have much bigger problems."

"Because the missing specialist is Kelly Ryker."

***

I must have blacked out, for how long, I have no idea. When I come to, Wyler's legs are on either side of mine, his chest to my back, his arms wrapped around me, pressing the blanket against my wound. It appears to have clotted, at least for the time being. Despite his body warmth, I'm shivering and I can't tell if it's from the cold or the loss of blood, but either way, it's not a great sign.

"You're awake," he says as my eyes flutter open. "Thank God, you're....awake," he stumbles over the last word.

"Do you mean 'alive?'" I ask, knowing full well what word he intended on saying. I turn my head to look up at him and his eyes are filled with concern.

"I feel so helpless," he replies, and while the words should scare me, his vulnerability is refreshing. But then I remind myself that there's a good chance his candor is the result of him still being intoxicated. Why did he have to drink so much? Then again, maybe it's better that way. Otherwise, we would be at each other's throats like our last encounter before I told him I was leaving for the safe house.