Number Sixteen. Flying

It seems absurd that we are standing around all together in the middle of the night, planning some giant murder spree. Now despite years of hiding and trauma I agreed to be a part of something with Carter after almost blowing his brains out, a testament to how much I love Theo.

"This better not take too long; I have a house to move in to" Theo groans irritably standing beside me.

"We were just kidnapped, and it was orchestrated by a bunch of idiots, of course we are going to take some time to figure out how the hell this happened" Skye grumbles aggressively, an icepack against his bruised cheek that he found in the fridge inside.

"Obviously if they kidnapped you then they aren't a bunch of idiots, are they?" I answer sarcastically, not looking into Carter's eyes which have been glued to Theo since we got up from under the tree.

I said my peace and had no intention of speaking to him ever again, it would have been the most perfect ending to a remarkably tragic story. Although, I should be more than aware of the way my life plays out but with the perfect way it has been going, maybe my judgement has been clouded. And I can't help but feel a little guilty, I may hate him, but these are my friends and they have always known him better than I, even when he loved me.

"You didn't have to come, you could have got a head start on unpacking the house" Theo says, squeezing my hand as we pull back from the group slightly.

"It'll be the first time I see it all done; I want to see it with you" I reply, remaking one of my previous points.

"Yeah, I'm sure that's the only reason" He chuckles, "How did you find me by the way? I hadn't even been gone that much longer than normal"

"I asked our driver!" I laugh.

"You have a driver?" Skye asks clearly amused.

"Only when I go on jobs like this, which is a rarity which is why I like to splurge"

"You have too much money and no idea what to do with it, anyway, that's beside the point, you're always early and when you weren't, I came to find you. I wouldn't have been able to function without knowing... and I saved your life"

"We would've gotten out of there"

"Daniel was shot" I point out, grinning at my husband.

"You saved our asses, he's just too proud to admit it" Daniel laughs, clenching his jaw from jostling his wound.

I would have been on a plane with Theo to our new home, the home that we built together and that we have been building for the past year. Yet, here I am going into a fight that I don't necessarily want to be a part of.

I killed people today, I am no stranger to brutality if my life story is any indication of that, but the thought of going back into that life is frightening. I'll stay out of the way when they handle their business, but a part of me knows that if it came to me killing someone to save Theo, I would, without blinking. A part of me even wants that, too make sure firsthand that they can never almost ruin my family again.

That scares me more than this business does but above even that losing Theo scares me more.

Everyone makes their way over to their cars, spread out and I am trailing behind Carter, watching Theo go and fill Lewis in on what we are going to be doing when we get there.

These cars have been here since before, their entire gang of kidnappers arrived.

"The gang was here after you" I whisper, a cold realisation washing over me.