18. Code Words

My body was swaying as if I was sat in a boat that was rocking gently on the waves. I was looking out to the horizon when the waves began to get rougher, violently crashing over the sides and making me lose my balance.

"Hey, wake up," Josh whispered as his hand shook my shoulder. 

I squeezed my eyes, trying to adjust to the light as a pair of worried brown eyes locked on mine. 

"We're here." 

I looked out the window of the truck to see we'd stopped in the middle of a large field. Liz stood just outside the vehicle with her hands placed against her hips, watching as Zach pulled bags from the boot. I looked back over to Josh who pulled on the door handle where it opened with a click. 

"Showtime," he mumbled under his breath, picking up his bag and rifle.

The structure reminded me of an army base or rather a makeshift one. Scraps of fencing and reinforced planks outlined a large perimeter, enclosing the whole field. I'd not seen this many people for a long time and they milled around, leaning against home-like caravans. Others walked, carrying various weapons and sharp instruments over their shoulders. They wore outfits similar to the camouflage trousers that Liz and Zach wore. I felt their gaze bearing down on us as they passed, assessing the fresh meat. I shifted my eyes to Josh who kept his head down, scuffing his shoes into the dirt.

"Lee!" Liz shouted, making us both jump. 

She waved over a dark-haired Asian boy a few meters away who looked over and grinned. He looked closer to Josh's age than mine. His face was long, and his hair flopped against his forehead as he jogged over obediently. He wore a black t-shirt which was tight around his arms but, instead of the distinct camouflage trousers, his were black.

"What do you need, boss?" He asked, coming to a stop in front of Liz.

"Truck needs parking up around back, do you mind?" She asked throwing a pair of keys in his direction.

"No problem," he replied, catching them in one hand. His dark eyes flickered between Josh and me who still stood awkwardly next to the truck. "Newbies?" He pointed to us as he grinned in Liz's direction.

"Yes," Liz stated. "We'll need two sets of clothes as well," she added as he jumped into the driver's seat. "Drop them in the tents." 

The boy held out a thumbs-up through the open window as the engine rumbled into action and he drove off. 

Liz spun around to face us, pulling back her lips into a grin. "Welcome to Dawn Hill," she chimed.

*

The sun loomed over us as we followed Liz through the base, bathing the whole world in a warm glow. People popped their heads out from their caravans as we walked by. It was like we were being paraded through a museum; except we were the new exhibit. She led us to a large motorhome at the back of the base away from everyone else.

"Come in," she announced over her shoulder as she ducked inside. Josh looked over to me and raised an eyebrow. I shrugged and followed her into the vehicle. 

Inside, she sat down at the small wooden table which stuck out from the wall. Her hands rested on a black notebook and the same colour walkie talkie sat beside it. She pressed a button on the side and brought it up to her mouth. 

"Lo, are you busy right now? Over," she mumbled into the box.

"Negative," a muffled voice responded. "You need something?"

She pressed the button again. "Could you do some IPs for me? Over." 

"Sure," the voice crackled. "I'll bring Zach."