v. a kind stranger

The café Liam chose was all bright colours and comfy chairs. The wait staff smiled and the food made him hungry. It was complemented by the shining sun, which hung above London like a beacon. Remus could admit to himself—quietly, and in the back of his mind, where he seldom wandered—that he was glad he'd come. Though he didn't need any of that to feel that way.

Liam looked up from his menu.

"So, what are you thinking of getting?"

"I'm not sure," Remus admitted, though he had already decided on the cheapest thing available. Bruschetta. Five quid. "Everything sounds good."

"I suggest the mushroom ravioli, but maybe that's just my bias talking."

The grin on his face hurt. "Maybe."

The table was quiet as he waited for Liam to choose what he wanted. Remus suspected it would be the ravioli. When it seemed like he had decided, he signalled for a blonde waitress to come over.

"What would you guys like to have?" She asked, tilting her head in Remus' direction. He startled for a moment before Liam's voice drew her gaze away.

"Can I a coke, please? And I'll have the chicken sandwich with salad on the side."

She nodded, turning back to Remus. He played with his napkin, his nail ripping the corner easily.

"I'll have the bruschetta. Water's fine."

The waitress collected their menus, but before she could leave, Liam's voice piped in again.

"Also, could we also get a bowl of chips?" When Remus looked at him, he laughed. "I'm hungry."

She left without any more interruptions, saying their drinks would be right out.

As they were waiting, he and Liam talked idly, discussing what books had sold and—after Remus ran out of things to say—the weather. He thought he'd ruined the conversation, but Liam ended up turning it into an anecdote about him falling face-first into a puddle on his way to school after the weather had been especially wet. The laugh that sprung past his lips was genuine, so much so that he had to cough after.

Thankfully, before he could start choking, the waitress returned with their drinks and, a little while later, their food, too. They ate with vigour, Liam munching on his sandwich and Remus devouring his bruschetta. Liam—who turned out to not be exaggerating when he said he was hungry—finished his food before Remus. Well, everything except the chips, which sat on his right. Was he not going to eat it, he asked himself.

Liam seemed to pick up on his thoughts.

"Oh, I'm full. I don't think I can eat anymore." He sighed, an over-exaggerated sound that raised Remus' suspicions. "These chips are going to go to waste now. Unless some kind strange decides to eat them." He sighed again, loud enough for the couple next to them to look over briefly.

It didn't require much to figure out Liam's plan. "I hope that stranger does. They really do look quite lovely." It didn't mean he had to let Liam know, however.

"You could have them, Remus," he commented.

"I don't know about that," he said in reply. "I wouldn't want to deprive a stranger of a possible meal. What if they were hungry too?"

He glanced both ways, as if he were about to cross the road. "They may not be coming. I'm afraid you'll need to eat the chips, Remus. It's the law now." He rose a haughty brow.

"Who's law?"

"Mine," he insisted.

"Well I'm sorry to undermine your authoritarian rule, but I'm not eating them." Remus' voice was cheeky.

"Why not?"

"I'm full," he said, as if it explained everything.

Liam wasn't having any of it. His voice bordered on pleading. "Don't give me that! You're pizza was so small. And you only had a water. You've got to be starving."

"I'm completely full."

A lie. He was still quite hungry, as was common for someone like him. Although, when hadn't he told one of those? Felix, his condition, and now his appetite.

"Just eat them. Please. I don't want you be hungry at a lunch I suggested. That'd be bad manners." His voice had fallen helplessly into pleading territory. It dripped off every word, like honey, coercing him into accepting the offered food. He wasn't sure why he didn't agree. The chips had been ordered and, in truth, no one was going to eat them. If Remus hated one thing, it was wasting food.

"Fine," he said, giving in, and Liam grinned. "But only if you share."

"I'm full, though!" He protested.

"So am I, but you're still making me eat them."

"That's totally unfair. You're a horrible person, Remus Lupin."

The chuckle that escaped him couldn't be stopped. "Oh? And what does that make you?"

"A fool for hiring such a dastardly criminal in the first place."

Remus knew he joking—it was obvious. He was grinning, white teeth poking out past his lips, his eyes alight. yet, Remus couldn't help but let it pierce his heart. The amount of times he'd heard someone say something similar—only they actually meant it—were numerous.

Liam noticed. When didn't he notice?

"I didn't mean it like—" Remus interrupted him, sullen.

"It's fine. I was just overreacting."

"No, I shouldn't have said that. I know about your history," said Liam, as insistent as he was about the food. More, even. "Anyway, I don't understand why no one kept you. You're the best worker the shop's ever had."

His lips twitched without permission.

"Thanks," said Remus.

"No worries. Now. Eat your food," said Liam.

The look they shared went unnoticed.

——————————

a/n: our their first unofficial date. i think it went quite well, and liam's so supportive it makes me sob wow. ps. the menu was based off of one i went to before quarantine so don't bash me if it isn't what u'd usually find in a British café. pss. there's a twilight reference in here see if u can pick it up ::)