thirty-six

ROSIE'S POV

I sat on the couch, anxiously tapping my fingers against my coffee mug. Mitch sat beside me, legs spread out wide across the ottoman. Tom checks his phone silently, occasionally letting out little breathless laughs. I check my watch again and note that it has now been fourteen minutes since they were supposed to be here.

"So, why did they call us here again?" I ask Tom who shrugs in response.

"They said they had some big announcement," Mitch explains.

"It's not like them to not be on time, I wonder--" I start but am interrupted by them crashing through the door, all giggles and rosy cheeks. Their hands are intertwined and their eyes are full of stars as they move into the room, hardly even noticing that we are there.

"Hi," Janie bubbles out, standing so close to Harry that they could be one person.

"Hi," I respond with a smile, feeling energized and excited just from their energy.

"Finally!" Tom huffs sarcastically. "Been waiting for hours," he groans out dramatically making Harry roll his eyes.

"It's been fifteen minutes," he retorts with a grin. He looks like a lovesick puppy, unable to take his eyes off of Janie for more than a second.

"So, why did us want to see you?" I ask, wanting to cut right to the chase. Or, rather, hoping that they'll say the words I've been dying to hear. Those two little words that would change everything and nothing all at once. They look at each other and take deep, excited breaths before Janie nods at Harry to continue.

"We finished the album," Harry bursts out as if he wasn't able to keep the words in for another minute. The room erupts into applause and noises of excitement and I sit up in my seat in surprise.

"You finished the last track?" Mitch asks, now standing in front of the couple. The two nod in unison, buzzing with excitement.

"Yeah, and it's perfect," Janie gushes making Harry beam at her.

"Well, let's hear the damn thing!" Tom encourages, making Janie clap.

Harry fumbles through Janie's bag to find the flash drive. Once he does, he crosses the room and plugs the small device into the monitor. He pulls up the file but turns back to us before clicking play.

"We're calling it "Golden" and I think it's my favorite track we've written," Harry prefaces.

"And we want to add in a significant drum section," Janie adds.

"Just play it already!" I laugh out, thoroughly amused by their giddiness. Harry nods once before double-clicking on the file.

The room fills with an upbeat guitar melody and a series of da da da da!s. I sit back on the couch and let the sound overwhelm my senses.

You're so golden

I'm out of my head and I know that you're scared

Because hearts get broken

The lyrics pull my attention and force me to look at the couple in response. I watch them and notice that Harry hasn't taken his eyes or his hands off of Janie since they entered the room. He whispers the lyrics into her ear as she holds onto his hand tightly like it's her lifeline.

I don't want to be alone

I don't want to be alone when it ends

Don't want to let you know

I don't want to be alone

She murmurs the lyrics under her breath as an overjoyed smile covers her face. Harry continues to watch her intently. He kisses her head and lightly sings out: "Lovin' you's the antidote. Golden."

And suddenly, it hits me.

This is their song. This is their love song to each other, about each other. How could they not see how felt about each other?

He's looking at her like she hung the moon and she's looking at him like he's the solution to curing any and every issue in the world.

They were in love. So in love, it hurt to watch. So in love it hurt to know that they didn't realize how in love they were. An all-consuming, overwhelmingly gorgeous love. 

They were so in love that it could destroy them if they let it. 

A/N: I love them so much I can't handle it.