36. A wrong twist

Chitra stood near a tree vomiting, this was the second time she was throwing up since they had started their journey, her legs felt weak and her ears felt blocked. She had no food for almost a day then what was she even vomiting out? Meenamma stood near Chitra but she didn't help her, she stood folding her hands over her chest watching in disgust.

Baldev moved forward and pulled Chitra roughly by her arm and immediately he left her hand pushing her away, "You stink like shit!" He said, rubbing his hand on his dark torn kurta.

Chitra felt sick and her legs gave up because of the hard push that She fell to the ground, the wet and dirty soil was sticking to her hands and hair but she couldn't stand.

After watching this long drama Meenakshi stepped forward and helped Chitra sit up and bought a pot full of water and a small rag, "Here," She said handing Chitra the rag, "Wipe your face and hands using this water."

"Baldev, she is in no condition to walk so I will let her sit in my cart." Meenamma said, walking towards her small cart. She had arranged it beforehand as she can't walk for long distances and Baldev welcomed her idea when she threw a small pouch of gold coins on his face.

"What?" Baldev scoffed, "I can throw her over my shoulder-"

"Baldev! Control your filthy mind for once, Chitra is your golden pass to win this war so shut up and ride your horses!" Her stern voice angered him, but she was right as soon after winning the war he could have this poor queen just for himself.

Meenamma slowly pushed Chitra inside the cart and sat beside her, locking the door and pulling the cotton drapes near the door.

Chitra laid her head against the thin wodden wall of the cart, she felt a little better compared to the last few minutes. Meenamma looked at her suspiciously at her before she grabbed Chitra's hand in hers pressing her fingers to her wrist checking her pulse.

Chitra looked weakly at what she was doing, why was she checking her pulse? Meenamma pulled her hand back as she was burnt and her face went pale.

"Chitra, why didn't you say this before?" She spoke in an accusing tone which puzzled Chitra.

"Why didn't you tell me that you are with a child!" Meenamma said, pulling Chitra by her hair, making her struggle in pain.

But when those words slowly registered in her brain Chitra felt the world stop for a second, she understood now about the health issues she was struggling for the last one month.

Chitra's hand slowly travelled below her stomach to feel, but she felt nothing, was she really pregnant?

" I am pre-pregnant?" Chitra asked in a low whisper, not understanding how to react. Should she be happy that she was going to be a mother or should she feel worse that her child is in deep danger if she remains surrounded by these people.

Meenamma pushed her away, catching her head as if she was facing a huge dilemma and Chitra felt no better as Meenamma's only aim was to kill her. Will she step back from her revenge and let her go? Or will she kill her to fulfill her revenge even if it meant to kill her child?

Sweat rolled down her face in fear, Chitra felt her legs shake thinking that her child's life was in trouble. Her eyes welled up with tears as she thought of Arjuna, Will he be happy to know that he is going to be a father?

Meenamma lifted her slightly to look at Chitra's disturbed state, "Stop it!" She almost screamed looking at her and Chitra flinched in fear.

"I meant, stressing and overthinking is not good for the child." Saying Meenamma took out a soft rug which was rolled up in a corner and pulled it over Chitra's shoulders and handed her a sitaphal which she bought for herself to eat.