25 | A Lot Of Trouble

Lizzie told me on day one that Haru is the camp's most notorious prankster, and over the past month, I've quickly learned why. I've heard stories that range from mattresses on roofs to underwear being strung up on the flagpole, and one very memorable story about slipping laxatives into his best friend's oatmeal. I know if anyone can help me, it'll be Haru.

He's surrounded by his usual posse on the beach, and is, as always, the center of attention. He's like a charismatic male version of Rita, and I can only hope that the charm isn't a front. If he turns out to be even half as bitchy as she is, I'll be better off doing this alone.

A scowling boy and a girl with threatening biceps stand up as I approach, crossing their arms and standing in front of the group like a pair of bodyguards. I slow my walk as if to invite conversation, but their faces remain blank as Haru continues talking with the others behind them.

"Um," I look between them, not knowing if this is normal, "I need to talk to Haru."

"About?" The guy asks, arching a dark eyebrow.

"I need his help," I answer. What are these, his goons?

The girl speaks next. "Is he expecting you?"

"Well... no, but it's sort of urgent."

"Mr. Nakamura is a busy man," she replies. "You'll have to make an appointment."

I try not to scoff at the absurdity. Mr. Nakamura? The kid is what, sixteen?

"Jennie, Xavier," Haru speaks up, causing the two henchmen to turn and look at him. "I've got time— let her pass."

With the single wave of his hand the group around him disperses, and the pair step aside to let me pass. I thank them, trying not to show how seriously weirded out I am by whatever type of mafia I've just unknowingly walked into.

"I apologize for the dramatics," Haru says, gesturing for me to sit across from him in the sand. I do, crossing my legs and returning his smile. "I heard you say you need my help. What with?"

I take a deep breath, warm him it's a long story, and delve into everything, starting with what happened between me and Mei in April. He offers nods and hums of understanding throughout the explanation, and listens intently when I tell him my plan to stop Rita from sabotaging the costumes.

When I'm finished, he clasps his hands on his lap and closes his eyes, as if he's taking it all in. The sun shines on his long, black hair, and for a second, it's easy to see why he has so many people who respect him. There's something regal about him, even knowing how outlandish and childish he can be.

"Delena..." he finally breaks the silence, opening his eyes. "It's a beautiful tale. A truly moving story of friendship and betrayal."

I just nod, not sure how to respond to his flowery words, and expecting him to say more. When he doesn't, I prompt, "Um, yeah. Right. So... that means you'll help?"

My nerves are eased when he gives a single nod, and I can't help myself from letting out a heavy breath. "Thank you. Seriously, thank you. I know it's asking a lot—"

I stop myself as he holds up a hand, smiling knowingly.

"I don't measure favors that pertain to matters of the heart. I will do what you've asked of me. And I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that your plan works."

I grin, feeling myself relax. With how royally I've been screwing up lately, I didn't expect this to go so well. My gut tells me to have faith in Haru, and I do. Not trusting people is part of what got me into this mess in the first place.