Chapter Sixteen, Part 2

"I will not accelerate my plans to return to England," Maddox pronounced. "I've made promises and agreements that keep me here through the end of the month."

"Your lecture series with Miss Kilbrierry."

"Yes, among other arrangements I've made. I am a guest lecturer at Columbia this term."

"Neither Mr. Vandenberg nor the university will find notoriety in the newspapers charming," Piero said, his nostrils flaring. He threw down a copy of the morning's paper, with the page folded open to a news story about three fugitives from the English nobility.

Half-standing to reach for the paper, Maddox narrowed his eyes.

"What have you done d'Alvieri? Are you not tasked with bringing Lady Julia home unharmed? Does that not include her reputation?"

"Lady Julia has no reputation left to speak of in England, and I daresay a trial for murder will put paid to any last illusion. I am tasked to bring her home as quickly as possible, so we might appease the magistrate and avoid such a spectacle. For Gills, too. The sooner they are returned, the less nettlesome the legal situation will be."

"Their flight is being taken as admission of guilt," Maddox noted. "Although it was an accident?"

"Yes. And you will have to answer for your involvement."

Maddox dragged a hand through his hair. "My 'involvement,' such as it is, is limited to weighing anchor without checking to make sure no cabins were in use by interlopers."

"You and your crew are the only ones who can testify to that. There is talk of preparing a formal request for extradition."

"My crew and I are occupied here until the end of the month. That will not change, Lord Piero, no matter how inconvenient to your duke, and it makes no matter who requests extradition. By the time your requests make it through two countries' legal systems, we will be surrendering ourselves to the magistrate in Bristol. Everyone on your list is similarly hobbled for the next three weeks, and I can be counted on to bring them all home directly thereafter on my ship. While I thank you for bringing us much-needed information, His Grace's conveyance is superfluous to requirements, as are you. We will be back in England in about six weeks, and you may tell the duke so when you return to him."

"Wellbridge will not be pleased by this."

"Then it is unfortunate for Wellbridge that I do not live my life to please him. Can you see yourself out?"

***

"Mrs. O'Neal, I know it is early, but would you be so kind as to bring my sister to the parlor?"

"Your sister, is it, Lord Joseph Gildeforte? Your sister, Lady Athol Soddenfeld? The one whose husband some say you killed?"

"Oh. You've read the newspaper."

"I have."

Gills waited for her judgment, hoping against hope she would throw Julia out and Gills with her, so the stubborn woman would be forced to allow him to house her properly.

Without giving any sign of her opinion, however, Mrs. O'Neal just said, "I will bring Mrs. Marloughe to you when she's ready for company." He supposed that was her judgment. Julia had probably told her the story and enlisted her sympathy.

"Julia is quite well, is she not?"

"Mrs. Marloughe is preparing herself for her day. I daresay she will tell you how she is in due course. I can bring you tea or coffee while you wait."

"Coffee, please, Mrs. O'Neal, and I thank you for it. I'll stay here in the parlour. I know the rules."

Gills already had a sentry on Julia's boardinghouse to guard against d'Alvieri committing kidnap; now he must add guards to keep her safe from newspapermen. She might need to move before this was done, and it had better be a place with a doorman.

Never Land the First Fishजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें