twenty one

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

'emily young'

"HI LUCY, HOW ARE YOU?" The Richardson girl mumbled sarcastically; lips pursed as she stared at her cousin

"HI LUCY, HOW ARE YOU?" The Richardson girl mumbled sarcastically; lips pursed as she stared at her cousin. "I'm good, Quil, thanks for asking."

Her cousin's frown didn't shift. "C'mon, Luce, this is serious."

"Serious?" Her face scrunched up in disbelief. Scoffing, she replied, "Vee, he asked me on a date, not to be the father of my children."

He rolled his eyes. "You said yes."

"I did." She confirmed. "Did you want to tag along?"

"Why would you do that?" His tone was slightly accusatory, and she recoiled for a moment, before straightening herself. The first pinpricks of irritation sparked within her.

"He's nice, and I guess it'll be fun." She replied stoically, frowning now.

Quil closed his eyes briefly for a moment, sucking in a deep breath. His face was hard; serious, and there were lines of stress around his mouth. It was clear, by the way he stood, that he was annoyed.

"Hey," Lucy moved closer to him, voice softening. She didn't like that he looked so weary. "It's just a date – it's not serious."

Her cousin's posture slowly dropped, like the fight was leaving him, and he stared at her wearily. "It's your life, Lucy." He muttered, almost to himself.

"What does that mean?" She returned defensively, catching his disapproving undertones.

He sighed. "It's your life – you make your own decisions. It's just...."

He didn't need to finish for Lucy to understand. It's just not a good idea, he wanted to say, and she was briefly stumped. Both Imogen and her cousin had issues with her going out with Adam – all within hours of actually being asked. She didn't know whether to take it as a sign, or them being protective.

Conflicted, she moved closer to him, mint eyes locked on his. "Why is it not a good idea? What's wrong with him?"

"It's –" Quil struggled for a moment, gathering his thoughts. "He's alright, but I don't think you guys would be good together. And – it's weird."

"How's it weird?" She pressed confusedly.

"He's my friend, Lucy." He explained, arms falling to his sides. "It's weird to think my friends are interested in my cousin."

There was a strange note to his tone that the junior tried to ignore, instead focusing on his words. She could see, to a certain extent, how odd it would be for Quil; how uncomfortable it might make him. Lucy would never want to put him in that position, but... he was right. This was her life – her decisions, her actions – not his.