December 19 @ 9:33 A.M.: Iris

"You better watch out, you better not cry, better not pout, I'm telling you why: Santa Claus is coming to toooown!" One of the red-coated, drunk Christmas carolers blared into my ear.

They had entered the T at South Station and for the past ten minutes, they had been cheering everyone up by switching from one famous Christmas melody to another.

I silent-hoped that they will be singing "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas" or "Silent Night," next. Those had been my two favorite ones. I used to sing them often with my Dad before he had passed away. 

The music vibes were super contagious, and could not help but replace my will-I-finally-friggin'-see-Mr-Ruffles-today worried pout with a grin.

"That's it, babe! Santa is a-comin', gurl!" The she-caroler winked her fake eyelashes at me.

I wiggled my tushy a bit listlessly in the Red Line train seat.

Christmas spirit was usually so infectious to me.

That was not the case with Rena, who would always say Santa was only there to help spread peace, joy, happiness, and other marketing buzzwords.

I would normally join in the singing and dancing fun but...

Ever since leaving Jayden, I had been mentally giving condolences to Santa for having to fully review the list of the naughty things I did this year.

Maybe I did deserve nothing but coal lumps from our most beloved inter-dimensional overlord for having hurt my ex.

Not that I wanted to spend another Christmas Eve in the stuffy, overtly large Jayden's family dining room, oh, no, no, no.

A Doctor Who theme playing from my pocket made me pick up my phone.

"Hi Ma!" I unleashed my best I-am-a-happy-and-fulfilled-adult-person voice upon recognizing the caller id.

"Iris? Iris, honey? Where are you? I can't hear you very well!" She was yelling into the receiver as if her dear life depended on it.

I let out a sigh.

"It's half past nine, Ma. You know very well where I am! I'm on the train. Heading to work."

"Well, what's that racket in the background, then?" She screeched.

"Oh, those? They are just your standard edition Christmas carolers, bringing joy and happiness wherever they may show up. But you didn't call me to listen to carols, did you? What can I do for you?"

"Nothing special, honey. I just wanted to see how you are. And, of course, to remind you of our Christmas dinner arrangement. You know it's in five days, Iris, and... We'll be opening presents together."

"I remember, Ma." I balanced the cell phone between my left ear and my shoulder as I kept on drawing. "By the way, I already got your present. I hope you'll like it!" I added with a mischievous giggle.

She had told me she needed a new hat after her old one had made off with the wind. So that's what she'd get. I bought a white one, with a chin strap. Well, to be more precise, it had been white, but I had applied liberal amounts of textile dye to it to make it shine in all colors of the rainbow.

"Good, honey. I've got yours, too. Oh, and Iris? Please make sure you're on time. You and your dad, God bless his soul, you two were always late for dinners. The soup would get cold and—"

"Alright." I nodded as if I had her before me, hoping this interjection would interrupt her train of thoughts.

"Is everything okay at work?" She inquired.