CHAPTER ONE

"But when you are deprived of it for a lengthy period then you value human companionship. But you have to survive and so you devise all kinds of mental exercises and it's amazing."
-Prof Wole Soyinka

I probably should stop drinking so much coffee.

Getting through medical school is almost impossible without it, but this steady flow of caffeine in my system will have long term side effects.

I should make time to pay my parents a visit. Then again, maybe not, they'll start bothering me with questions about when I am going to get married. Despite my concerns, I decided to call my mum because I missed her. Additionally, I had no idea when I would be able go to Abeokuta to see them.

I leaned back in my seat and flexed my fingers over the steering wheel, and put my phone on loud speaker as it rang. Mum answered shortly afterwards.

"Hello, Amara! Thanks for remembering me today!"

I shook my head and smiled, "Ah ahn, sweet mum I always think of you."

She laughed, "Sure you do. How's work? Are you eating well? Getting enough rest?"

"Fine, yes and no," I replied with a chuckle.

"You know, if you had a husband and children, things would be different."

I rolled my eyes, and took a few deep breaths to control my frustration. Here we go.

"Chineke! Children nowadays! How dare you roll your eyes at me!"

What? How did she know?

"Mum–"

"I'm still talking. You're not getting any younger and you spend all your time at the hospital or alone. What kind of life is that?"

"Mum–"

"Your dad and I miss you, but you stopped coming to see us, and if we want to visit you, you'll say you're busy. It's because we have been telling you to settle down isn't it?"

I sighed, she was right. "I'm sorry mum, I'll have to call you back, the traffic light just turned green."

She huffed in disbelief, "You're a beautiful lady, inside and out, I'm sure you have many suitors. Choose one you can tolerate and respect, and marry him. All men have their flaws including your dad!"

"Bye, Mum!" I quickly ended the call. The light hadn't turned green, I just didn't want any further discussion about that matter.

That's right, I am 'that aunty.' I thought with a sigh. She could be your sister, daughter, cousin or friend. Avoiding family gatherings and other social events because of those annoying mummies, daddies, grandparents, Uncle Femi's, brother Uche's, sister Risikat's and Aunty Ada's, reminding her every single time about how she should be married with kids by now, so frustrating!

Even Mallam Bello, the suya guy,  asked when oga will come and buy suya, last time I went to his stall! It was down the street of my parents house, and I had been avoiding the place ever since.

Suddenly, my thoughts drifted to work, and the shift I was about to resume. I hope there aren't going to be any extreme issues today. Accident and Emergency packed shifts are the worst.

I was busy thinking about all the different things that I should do and not do, what I wanted and did not want as I was driving to work in my Toyota Matrix. It happened to be a cool and cloudy day in the middle of April. Beautiful palm trees lined both sides of the road and cast a pleasant shade on the street.