Code of Silence - Chapter 18

Alex and I had received our invitations to the annual AI conference from Professor Khan a few weeks earlier, but I'd completely forgotten about it. First term exam-time had crept up on me, and juggling classes with revision and social stuff, along with the AI project work, had distracted me. Fortunately, Alex had noted the date and messaged me to say that if we were going, we needed to be headed to London the following day.

It was a two-day event and Khan was speaking on the first day. We needed to set off early and planned on a late return, but still had to decide how we would get there. Alex was on hand to save the day, once again, having convinced the family that a car was the only way that regular trips home could be made. Alex's mother had agreed that her old Mini with its bright red paintwork and Union Jack roof, previously used on the school runs, could be taken by Alex and used at university. It was old, but reliable and in good condition, nothing too racy but on the right side of cool.

Khan's invite had included the itinerary, with various time slots for speakers, Q&A sessions, demonstrations, and a layout of the main exhibition area that formed the event. It was an annual gathering, designed to bring the great and the good together: academics, students, businesses, government, inventors and investors. The professor had a ninety-minute segment just after lunch. He wasn't at all pleased with his slot but hadn't been able to do anything about it. In his view, this was when people's interest levels wavered, after a long and lazy lunch and having either sat through several morning presentations already, or been traipsing around the vast exhibition halls since their arrival.

We parked among the hundreds of cars that fanned out in rows across the enormous exhibition and conference facility and, following the crowds through the designated pathways, past ornamental lakes and gardens, and under advertising banners, we headed towards the main conference centre where we scanned our badges at the line of registration desks. Grabbing our welcome packs, we moved to the side of the entrance to the halls and studied the layout to find the spot we'd agreed to meet Khan at that morning.

He was already waiting for us when we arrived at the event hospitality area, and led us over to some side doors marked 'Executive Suites'. The stairs led up to a plush lounge area where refreshments were being served to speakers and their guests.

"So, it's good to see you both, is this your first time here?" said Khan, as he ordered some coffees from a passing waiter.

"Never been to anything like it, to be honest," I said. I recognised some of the names and the companies in the guide they gave us but hadn't had chance to look around yet.

"Yes, very excited, it should be really interesting," added Alex, peering eagerly down through the tall windows, surveying the main hall and the many exhibitor stands below.

We found somewhere to sit as the coffees arrived, and chatted about coursework and our plans for the term break. The conversation eventually moved on to Theo, and the latest developments regarding his father's disappearance. It had been almost a month now, and the story had dropped completely from the main TV bulletins and newspapers. There was the odd update on social media, but it had become one of those tragic stories that sinks into oblivion until a clue is thrown up, or a family member or local MP forces it back onto the media's agenda.

Khan confirmed that neither he nor any of his colleagues had seen Theo since receiving the call from his mother, and he hoped they would welcome him back to university soon to continue with his studies.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he was here today, in fact," said Khan, looking out across the growing number of visitors in the main exhibition area below. "I know he's been to similar events in the past, although he didn't acknowledge the invite I sent him. Maybe he's still just lying low and dealing with things."