Chapter Eight

The doorbell rang at exactly 2:00 in the afternoon. She really is on time every time, isn't she? I checked myself in the full-sized mirror we had in the basement before running upstairs to answer the door. I decided to wear my ripped, light blue skinny jeans, my favorite black T-shirt that said "Don't Look Back" on the top left and on the back with a skeleton flipping off a rear-view mirror, a red flannel that was too big for me, and my black high tops. I felt pretty cute.

     As soon as I opened the door, Chloe enveloped me in a tight hug. I wrapped my arms around her waist and took in her sweet, strawberry, vanilla scent. Once we pulled away she gave me a quick kiss and said, "Hi."

     "Hey! You look great," I complimented her. She really did look stunning, wearing a casual, black dress with skinny straps and a white cardigan sweater.

     "Thanks, so do you," She returned the compliment and then came closer to whisper in my ear, "I may have dressed up a little."

     "A little?" I laughed, then asked, "You do have clothes to change into right?"

     "Yes, don't worry. My backpack is in my car. Even if I hadn't, I could always wear something of yours." The suggestion made my heart race. Seeing her in my clothes was something I definitely wanted.

     "Forget your backpack, let's just do that," I only half-joked, the excitement clear in my voice, but she laughed anyways.

     "Hey, we have some time to kill before we have to start dinner, so I was wondering if you wanted to go to the mall or something? Since we're all dressed up," I suggested.

     "That sounds like fun. I've been meaning to go shopping there anyway. Let me meet your mom first, though," She decided.

     "Alright, she's just upstairs in her room. Follow me," I directed and then laced my fingers through Chloe's so I could lead her up the stairs. She almost tripped because of the two inch heels she was wearing, but I caught her and we both laughed. I was surprised that my dogs weren't barking anymore, but I realized they must've been in my mom's room with her.

     I knocked on the door before I opened it. My mom was folding laundry while she watched a movie.

     "Hey mom, come out and meet Chloe!"

     A few seconds later, there she was. "Hi, Chloe. It's so nice to meet you. Alex has told me a bit about you and she seems very fond of you already," My mom said.

     Chloe shook my mom's hand and said, "It's so nice to meet you too Mrs. Cadwell. I'm very fond of your daughter as well, so that's good to hear."

     "Good. You can call me Mel, by the way. Mrs. Cadwell is much too formal."

     "Okay," Chloe laughed nervously. She was shaking, so I grabbed her hand to try and stabilize her a bit.

     "We were going to head to the mall before dinner, but we should be back around 4. We'll see you for dinner mom," I piped in.

     "Okay, have fun girls!" My mom called as she walked back to her room. I tugged Chloe outside to my car.

     I opened the door for her to get in and then got in the driver's seat. I started the car and then looked over at Chloe. I asked, "Hey, are you okay? You were shaking back there."

     "Yeah, I'm okay, I just got really nervous. I really want your parents to like me," She answered.

     "Don't be nervous. They pretty much like anyone I do. I can tell that my mom likes you already and my dad will too," I grabbed her hand and flashed a bright smile, "Don't sweat it, okay? You're amazing and they'll see that."