17

Alice Avery

A small bell alarmed from the top of the door as we entered the small diner. I was still a bit buzzed by my alcohol intake and stumbled into a booth as Ricky slide in across from me. An older lady approached our booth with a notepad in her hand, she carried a warm smile on her face.

"I'm Donna and I'll be your waitress for the night. Could I get you started on some drinks?"

I rested my head in my hand as I looked up to her, "Do you happen to have apple juice?" I let out a small giggle, Theo loved apple juice.

Donna looked at me questionably and began to laugh a little, "We do hun, anything else you'd like?"

"Ooo blueberry pancakes please and thank you."

She wrote a few things down on her notepad and looked to Ricky, she waved her off letting her know he didn't want anything and she left to the kitchen.

"I'll still let you steal some of my cakes," I offer and he smiled slightly.

"Well thank you."

I looked around the small diner and admired the vintage style. A jukebox was displayed in the back as well as a photo booth. Frank Sinatra played lowly through the diner.

Donna came back with my drink and I gladly sipped on it in hopes of getting sober. I dug into my blueberry pancakes as soon as they were set in front of me, Ricky grabbed a second fork and helped himself. I soon felt the alcohol slowly leave my system and I became less of the bubbly person I was when drunk.

"Y'know I'm still curious about this," I reached out to the robin necklace that slipped from under his shirt.

"Yeah? You're welcome to stay curious."

"I'll find out one day."

"Maybe."

"I'm curious about these too," I rolled his sleeve up and gestured to this fully tattooed arm. I ignored the scars I had previously discovered. His wrist was covered in a length of chains. They overlapped his scars perfectly, though I could still notice.

"They covered the scars well enough."

My shoulders fell to a slump, I seemed to always fail to avoid the topic. "I'm sorry," I told him quietly.

"Quit acting like a saint, it's so unlike you, I don't like it."

A small smile appeared on my face. He was right, it wasn't like me. "I want a tattoo," I change the subject. "Just don't know what to get."

He leans forward; letting me know he's interested in the conversation. "Don't listen to people who say it needs to be meaningful, that's bullshit. Your body, your choice; fuck being socially acceptable."

I had always loved tattoos but when it came to putting them on my own body, I always drew a blank.

"You'll figure it out," He tells me.

"I guess, yeah."

I finished the rest of my pancakes silently as Donna came around with the check; Ricky and I both pulled out our cards. Donna looked at us with a puzzled look on her face.

"You got the vodka, I got the food." I tell Ricky. He just shakes his head and reaches for the debit machine.

"Just say thank you and drop it."

"Ri-" Donna then dropped the machine in my hand. I gave Ricky a sassy look and swiped my card through.

"The two of you don't seem like an old fashioned couple, let the girl pay." She said.