Chapter 20: Room Within Rooms (Part 2)

"Ow." Gilbert emits a faint whimper behind me. I realise that I'm crushing his hand in my grip. Reflexively, I drop it like I had just been scalded. My fellow Champion begins to massage his fingers with a mournful expression, complaining about how strong my grip was.

I tune him out.

Instead, I stoop to observe the spiralling staircase, marvelling at the hidden architecture genius within the castle. Then a sudden chill sweeps over me—Champion of no, if I had fallen backwards, the bones in my neck would have instantly snapped. Or in the very least, I would have sustained a few fractures, judging from the steep cuts into the rock.

"What is this?" I whisper, not quite expecting an answer.

The Quinnian steps up to stand beside me, following my gaze into the darkness below. "Actually, the Quinnians had found this tunnel a long time ago," she confesses, "but it leads to a dead end. Or at least, it leads to a door that cannot be open. I should have told the both of you beforehand, knowing that if given the chance, you two would be unable to resist the lull of the onyx."

"The lull of the onyx?"

"Indeed. Our Quinnians could feel the magic whenever they make contact with it, but even with the priestesses of Pst. Zorah..." She shakes her head. "All we know about it is that it's very powerful magic. Ancient. Possibly dating back to the time before King Brom overthrew the Runithilard line. Unfortunately, the weak magic that few possess nowadays isn't enough for us to explore its true power."

Runithilard. Cambiria, once located where Perinus now stands, was ruled by that bloodline long ago. Even the very thought of the name sends something powerful resonating within me, something to do with the myths encircling that particular family.

"How do we close it?" I ask Allura.

"By touching the onyx once—"

"Hold on!" Gilbert shrieks abruptly. "Are you sure that you don't want to see what's down there?" The question is aimed towards me.

"No. What's there to see? Allura said that the door at the end can't be open. What makes you think that it will open now?" I sneer at him, ignoring the gnawing feeling in my gut.

He gestures with frustration. "How do I explain it?" he growls, tugging his hair on the ends. "It's a – a feeling. Like something is drawing me to go down."

"If you get around the world by trusting your 'feelings', it's a wonder that you are still alive now," I attempt to scoff at his instincts. However, I am trying not to cringe at his words, for I am experiencing the exact same thing now—a raging, insistent feeling in my stomach that points towards what lies beyond the staircase.

"Fine. It's true that it's only a feeling, but can we go down? Please? Just humour me for once." Allura and I lock eyes, as though we are deciding if we should give in to a child's exasperating whimsy.

Just this once, the Quinnian seems to say.

Why should we? I think, the message conveyed through my body language.

It's just for a short while. Besides, aren't you curious as well? She raises a brow at me.

Closing my eyes, I exhale through my nostrils. Fine. Just this once.

The scholar grins at me—a full, eye-blinding grin, revealing two rows of abnormally white and perfect teeth. "All right, we shall descend into the darkness, Gilbert. First, we'll need to get a torch. You two Champions of War might not have any problem navigating down there, but I cannot see a foot before me if there's no light." Strange. She didn't show any particular problems when navigating the darkness in the tunnel leading into the House of Knowledge. Maybe it's because she's familiar with every protruding stone and crack on the ground there.