The Passenger

"Just let me get my car." The date was bad, but that didn't mean David had to be rude to the girl his friends set him up with. That wasn't how he was raised by his parents. "Wait for me, okay?"

The girl, Amanda, nodded, before sitting back down outside the Starbucks they had just come from. "But no hanky-panky, okay?"

David stifled a laugh. Hanky-panky? If he wasn't sure before, he was now. There is no future between him and Amanda.

It took him less than fifteen minutes to walk back inside the mall, head to the bank of elevators, get to the third basement, and get into his car. He expected to be winded, to be sweaty... But it was a chilly night. David just felt cold. He thought back to Amanda. Maybe a little hanky panky can warm both of them up, he mused with a chuckle.

The car purred softly as he shifted gears and drove it out of the basement, stopping by the cafe's curb to step out and get Amanda.

"So do you this for everyone meet? Take them home?" Amanda asked, a bemused expression on her face.

"Just the special ones," David answered. There was no reason to turn off the charm. Even if he and Amanda didn't hit it off, they could still be friends...or network contacts.

Amanda was quiet the whole drive, answering only David's questions about directions to her house. David had to wonder though why she felt the need to point out that he's dropping her off first. It's not like he could drop himself off before he takes her home. Unless--

"That's me. That house with the red CRV outside."

David idled the car before he stepped out. Ever the gentleman, he assisted Amanda in stepping out of the car. The girl smiled.

"It's too bad we didn't have anything in common. Men like you are rare." David gave her a goofy smile, trying to be aw-shucks about the whole exchange. Sometimes, it gets the girl loose enough to throw caution to the wind and sleep with him, even if they have no plans of ever seeing each other again romantically. But on this particular night, it didn't work.

"Well, I won't keep you, David. Thank you for a lovely night." Amanda gave him a peck on the cheek. "It's already late and you still have your friend to take to where she's going."

David's blood froze. What friend? And then he turned to his car. And sure enough, at the car's back seat sat a woman. Looking at him. Smiling. In anticipation.

#