~11~

“Love you too” Jumoke said back with a smile on her face as immediately she heard the call cut, she sighed sadly.

She lowered her phone back into her laps as she tapped on it for a few seconds before placing it on the table.

She lifted her legs unto the bed as she rested her back on the wall, hugging her legs closely as her mind tried to examine her financial state and do some small calculations on how she had been spending this month.

Jumoke' s younger brother had just called again, to ask for some money she needed urgently.

After her father's died some weeks after her graduation in an accident, she had been saddled with the responsibility to take care of her family.

Her mind flashed back to how she was used to working multiple jobs in the university.

She had definitely been through tough times, alone. And she was grateful to Demilade for securing her this job, she currently had.

It paid well. No matter how ridiculous it sounded, this teaching job paid well, compared to other jobs she had worked in.

Plus it didn't attract any other services unlike other jobs out there.

She had once had a job where the boss felt he could touch them just because he paid them but she was quick to quit.

She grabbed her phone again, tapping the last message that was sent to her.

The message with her account balance. She was penniless.

At least, it's just till the end of the month. She was planning to get back to work tomorrow. She couldn't afford to take another day off, knowing fully well, it might lead to salary deduction.

She couldn't afford that.

She placed her phone back on the table and laid down on her bed, wrapping herself in a blanket, getting ready for bed.

She slowly drifted into sleep with thoughts clouded her head.

She was halfway into dream land when she heard something.

It was a loud thud. And it didn't stop, it was continuous.

She hurriedly stood up, scurrying towards the sitting room, making sure to be as silent as possible.

Her heart beat racened as she thought of who could be at her door at this time.

It was past midnight.

She peeped through the peep hole to see it was before gasping at the sight she saw.

She hurriedly ran to the table and grabbed the keys before running back to the door and opening up the door.

As she swung the door open, a tipsy Joel collapsed on her arms as she just stood there taken aback by his drunken state.

She had never seen anyone in their drunken state in her life.

She was confused as hell as she kept yelling out his name.

“Joel, wake up. Are you okay?!” She asked him as she shook her body, as Joel rested on her with his head buried in her chest as his legs barely held him up.

She wrapped his arm around her neck as she tried to take his weight on her but she couldn't.

She could barely drag him.

She managed to pull him in, shutting the door and laying him on the couch as she ignored the sparks her body felt from every contact with him.

She looked at Joel's face as he held up a smile and with his eyes closed as the stench of alcohol sunk into her nose.