three

The next morning was rainy too, which we should have anticipated for a March in London. My final exams and graduation weren't until late April and I was currently on what my university called a reading break, which was the whole reason I was able to come to the funeral in the first place.

Unsure of what to do with myself, I picked up my phone to see a few missed texts from my friend Adriana asking about the funeral and how I was doing. I wondered how on earth I was supposed to explain how much everything about my life had changed in 24 hours. So I settled on a short reply about the service and jet lag and put my phone away.

I headed downstairs to find my mom nursing a mug of something in the kitchen. 

"There's not a lot of food here, Dad went to the store to grab some stuff," she said when she saw me. She had huge bags under her eyes, indicating that she hadn't slept much better than me.

"Is there coffee?"

My mom wrinkled her nose.

"Ugh, no. There are about eighty different kinds of tea though. I just picked the most caffeinated one."

I dug around, settling on a chai tea and sitting across from my mom. 

"So."

"So."

"What are you and Dad thinking?"

She shrugged. 

"It's a lot to process. We're honestly more worried about what you think."

I nodded, staring into my cup.

"Don't hate me for saying this, but I kinda think we should do it."

She blinked at me. 

"I-what?"

I tucked my hair behind my ear nervously.

"I don't know... This would help with some of Nana's treatments and surgeries, we could finally get her and Papa out of the nursing home. You and Dad wouldn't have to worry about me and I could pay off my student loans."

"Yes, but Evie, we could do all of those things with the money Grandma left us. We wouldn't need to accept the Pembroke name."

I nodded thoughtfully.

"Also a good point. I just... This seems like one of those things that you don't pass up. A chance to be part of the actual nobility! Think about that."

"Honey, we don't know anything about being part of the nobility."

I shrugged.

"It's like in The Princess Diaries when Mia finds out she's a princess and we both talked about how cool that would be, remember?"

My mom mock gasped. 

"How dare you try to sway me with my favourite movie?! Besides, this is real life, not an excellent film."

"I know it seems crazy... but think about it. Would we ever really be able to go back to our normal lives now that we know the truth?" 

That stopped her, and she froze for a moment, pondering my point.

"Our whole lives would change."

For the first time, I recognized real fear in her eyes.

"I know."

"And you're about to get your degree!"

"I know."

"Oh god, Evie. I just don't know. I'm freaking Canadian for Christ's sake!"

"I know."

"If you could give me slightly better answers, that would be lovely."

I sighed, rubbing my eyes. 

"I know, I'm sorry. Maybe it was silly of me to bring it up. I just, I don't know. This doesn't feel like fate or anything to you?"

She sighed. 

"I don't know. We have to see what your Dad thinks."

Right on cue, my dad opened the door, arms full of groceries, and mercifully, a tray of coffees from Starbucks.

My mom and I shot up, seizing the drinks. 

"Did I mention I love you?"

My dad laughed and kissed my mom on the cheek.

"I'm glad to be of service."

Momentarily forgetting the elephant in the room in the presence of food, I made some toast for everyone while my parents unloaded the food.  

Once we were all seated, toast and coffee in hand, my dad regarded me carefully. 

"How are you feeling?"

"After I got over the shock of it all, kinda okay actually. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally stunned, but I think I'm handling it well."

"Well that makes one of us," he joked.

"Tom, Evie thinks we should do it."

He looked at me, eyebrows raised.

"Really?"

I blushed a little, looking at my hands. 

"This might sound totally stupid, but yeah. I mean this is an absolutely crazy chance to solve A: any financial stuff and B: its a chance to learn more about Dad's family. Also being part of the nobility is freaking insane but aren't you even a little intrigued by what it might be like?"

My dad nodded thoughtfully. 

"And I could finally retire, mom and I could spend more time together... My family wouldn't be such a mystery. This is absolutely freaking crazy... But I'm kinda in."

My mom rounded on him. 

"Are you actually considering this?" She asked incredulously. 

"Oh don't look at me like that Stace, c'mon. Look me in the eyes and tell me you don't wanna try even a little."

"Well of course I do! Do you have any idea how wonderful it would be to get to see you guys more and not worry about the mortgage? I just... I worry. Evie hasn't even had a chance to decide what she wants to do yet."

I reached across the table and held her hand.

"Hey. Don't worry so much about me. I'll graduate with my Bachelor of Arts in April and figure out everything else later. I'm sure there's plenty of work at the museums here for someone with a mythology minor and history major. Besides, I don't really know how all of this works, but I'm sure being the daughter of an Earl would mean I could pretty much do whatever I wanted."

She looked me deep in the eyes, trying to figure me out.

"Mom... I think this is the best decision for our family. Besides, when have the three of us ever turned down an adventure?"

She blinked. 

"Well, I'll be damned. You grew up while I wasn't looking."

My dad laughed and squeezed her other hand. 

"We're really gonna do this? You're sure? There's no going back once we call Theodore."

"I know. And it seems crazy, but I'm actually more sure about this than I've ever been."

She looked from me to my dad and back to me. 

"Hot damn, Windham family. We're gonna be nobles."