Part 2

PART 2.

5 Bruton Street,

Mayfair,

London.

April, 1824.

From the corner of his eye, Colin Bridgerton saw Penelope Featherington, leave the ballroom.

He wondered where it was that she was going–she couldn’t be going home(that was the wrong door if that’s what she had intended). And furthermore, he could see her sister dancing with…Mr. Albansdale, was he? And wasn’t that Mrs. Featherington with his own mother?

So no, she couldn’t be going home. So where was she going?

And why was she going, wherever it was that she was going? Was she sick? Meeting someone? Attending to some personal business?

Or maybe, he thought, she wanted to make an escape. God knows, he wished that, himself.

The party was as great as any other, but there was no one in that room that interested him.

At least, not anymore.

He was still amazed by the fact that Penelope Featherington, someone who had been a constant all his life, had began to be more than just there. She had begun to shine somehow. Stand out. And Colin knew that if he thought she stood out, there was something completely amiss with him.

Because Penelope didn’t stand out. She never had. Even she knew that. And he was sure, she didn’t even try to.

But he didn’t know how else to place this sudden awareness that he felt for her. Every move she made, every person she spoke to, Colin knew. He didn’t try to spy on her. He didn’t even try to be so conscious of everything she did. But somehow, even though he was no where near her, his mind clearly was.

Or was it his heart?

He had no intentions of treading dangerous waters, right there in his mother’s ballroom and so he occupied himself with another disturbing –yet safer –thought.

Where was she?

He was rather desperate to find out what was on her mind.

He had seen her, standing alone, for quite some time and right when he had managed to escape his brothers and head towards her, Eloise conjured out of nowhere and made him stop in his tracks and take a U-shaped turn.

But that didn’t stop his mind from thinking about her.

Nor his eyes from sneaking a glance at her, every now and then, when he thought no one was looking.

All in all, he was rather desperate to know what was on her mind.

Hadn’t he already said that before?

Great. Now he had been reduced to a repeating idiot.

“Colin?”

Oh blast! He’d nearly forgotten that he was amidst a conversation with his brother. Had he been asked a question? More importantly, how long had he stood there without replying?

With one last glance to the now empty doorway, he turned to Benedict with that signature smile of his –which probably didn’t fool his brother–but it was worth a try. “Sorry, what?”

“Very quiet today, aren’t we?” An amused smile played across his lips.

“Just thinking.”

“Hmm, I see.” And apparently he did, because instead of shooting back a witty rejoinder, Benedict just stood there, a smirk across his face, his expression making Colin queasy.

So after another second or two, in which none said anything, Colin decided to speak up.

“I think I need a lemonade.”

“You think?”

Colin tried hard not to scowl (it just wouldn’t do to scowl in a ballroom, in clear view of everyone).His brothers –no his siblings –seemed to bring out the worst in him.

“I need a lemonade,” he muttered again.

“I’m sure you do.” Benedict looked like he was enjoying himself immensely.

“I should go get one.”

“Please.” Benedict nodded and waved his hand in the general direction of the lemonade table.

Colin barely managed to nod back and turned around, heading straight for the table.

His stride warned anyone who wished to talk to him just then and he reached the table, without much talk, but with certainly many eyes.

But he didn’t stop there.

With one last glance, across the ballroom –over his mother, Eloise and his brothers –he left.

He left and the entire ballroom wondered where he was going.