Part 3

PART 3

5 Bruton Street,

Mayfair,

London.

April, 1824.

From the corner of his eye, Benedict Bridgerton saw Penelope Featherington, leave the ballroom.

And as soon as she did, he noticed the change in his brother’s demeanor.

As opposed to earlier, when he kept sneaking glances at her when he thought no one was looking, right then, he was openly staring at the empty doorway.

After about a minute or two, Benedict realized that his brother was still an idiot and that he would have to make him go after Penelope.

And so he interrupted his thoughts.

It was clear that Colin found his brother’s company annoying at that very moment, and so to annoy him a bit more, Benedict just stood silently, smirking for the better part of the conversation and as usual, it did the trick.

Sooner than he knew, Colin was going to get a lemonade, and it didn’t escape Benedict’s notice that the lemonade table had been set up quite close to the doorway, through which Penelope had exited moments ago.

Colin was an idiot. Or had he already said that?

Anyhow, it wouldn’t harm saying it again, because Colin was truly an idiot.

He thought nobody noticed the way he excused himself in the middle of their conversation and approached Penelope, only to come back after seeing Eloise join her.

He thought, nobody noticed that his mind just wasn’t into their usual discussions and that he was constantly on a lookout for a chance to escape.

He thought nobody noticed how he hadn’t asked a single lady for a dance tonight.

He thought, they were all idiots.

Well, he should have known better than to even try to fool his brothers who knew him as well as…well brothers knew brothers.

So when Colin took one last glance across the room and exited, everybody wondered where he was going.

But only his brothers knew the answer.

His brothers and Violet Bridgerton, who was trying hard to cover her smile.