Chapter 9

1927

   "Miss Dawson? Who pulled you from the water?"
   I eyed the doctor beside me, suspicion leaving me curious as to why he wanted to know. What if he wanted to send me to a lunatic asylum? He might have decided that I was mad, and had pulled myself from the water, or tried to take my own life. Perhaps he thought I had gotten into a fight with someone.
   "I can't remember."
   He sighed, "very well, you had a lucky escape, and I was hoping that the person who saved you could be identified. Not only for thanks, but for medical attention."
   I tried not to fret about whoever I had endangered, but I couldn't get the sense of dread away from my heart. What if I had inadvertently caused someone's demise?
   I smiled softly, and claimed I was tired so that he might leave. The doctor mentioned that he would tell my parents about my condition, and shut the door on the way out.
   I sank into the bed, and calmed my nerves. I was okay. I hadn't drowned. Jack and mamma had found me.
The door downstairs clicked shut, and I heard a scuffle. Slowly, but surely, I heard two sets of feet make it up the stairs.
Mamma entered, and Jack followed. Their smiles did not reach their eyes, and Jack hung back by the door. His expression seemed unusually distant and far away.
"Mamma, Jack, I'm sorry," I choked on my words, "I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused."
Jack glared at mamma, "I just wish you hadn't gone swimming."
It took all of my self control not to gasp, "I didn't, I was walking along the bank and I tripped and fell-"
"-you don't have to lie-"
"Jack," something snapped in her voice, "I don't think she's lying. I shouldn't have let her go, but Josie isn't a weak swimmer. Let's just be grateful for whoever pulled her from the water."
"Mamma's right," I restrained my tone, "but when I fell, I hit my head on the bank."
   "I am, Jack, and I am so unbelievably sorry. I should have stood my ground and kept her safe, but I never thought-"
   "-mamma-"
Jack sighed, but something remained in his voice, "Rose is right, she shouldn't have let you go."
Before I could answer, he left in haste. I watched as he left, wishing that he hadn't. Mamma stared at his back, her eyes lined with silver.
   As her eyes slid over to me, I was disturbed by the emotions that rested there; disappointment, anger, and upset were not unusual after I had crossed a line, but anger had never belonged there. Not anger- resentment.
   She resented me.
   Mamma blinked, and the strange look vanished. She went to my bedside, and kissed my forehead, "I'm so glad you're okay. Please, rest."
   She walked out, and I was left alone with my thoughts. I feared the fate of the young man who had fished me out from the water, and wondered if he was okay.