VII

I learned the easiest way to escape my troubling marriage was by avoiding Luciano. I hadn't seen or spoken to him for days after the night of the poker game. At first, I didn't think that would be possible. But the mansion was large enough for us to keep our distance, and Luciano spent most of his day in his office while I spent nights in my room.

The best part about being alone most of the time was that I could live out my favorite fantasies. As I roamed the halls and sunbathed next to the pool, I became a tourist who won a secluded getaway at a five star resort. In the safety of my room, I was never a woman taken by an Italian mafia boss; rather, I was a princess locked in my bedchambers within the tower.

When Carlotta came knocking at my door Tuesday night, I knew my temporary respite from reality had ended. For the past few days, Carlotta had been helping me out by delivering dinner to my room. When she arrived an hour earlier than usual, it was clear something would be different that night. The woman was as punctual as she was good at cooking.

"Come in."

Carlotta pushed the door open enough for her to slip into the room. She never strayed far from the door when she came to my room. Despite all the times I welcomed her in, she politely remained by the doorway. In her eyes, I was the boss' wife and she worked for me. What she didn't realize was that I viewed her as my only friend. Without her, I would be completely on my own.

"Don Martelli has requested your presence in the dining room tonight," Carlotta informed me.

"Requested? Meaning I can say 'no' if I wish to stay in my room for dinner?"

The magazine I had been reading lied open on the bed. Since I wasn't allowed to have my phone and there wasn't much to do inside my room, I often turned to reading as a way to pass the time. However, when Luciano was working in his office during the day, I could roam around the mansion searching for activities. I spent most of my time working out in the fully equipped weight room, lounging by the outdoor pool, or watching movies in the cozy theater.

"Rina, I wouldn't advise that."

"Why not? What will he do to me?" My fear of Luciano was beginning to fade. He could be ruthless, but I was fairly certain he didn't intend to hurt me. Besides, if something happened to me, he would have to search for a new bride to blackmail.

"I know he isn't the easiest man to love, but he may surprise you if you give him a chance."

"Please," I rolled my eyes in exasperation. "What has he done to deserve a chance from me?"

"You're right. He shouldn't treat you the way he has been, but you need to make that known. You two can't move forward if you don't tell him that things need to change around here."

"He's an asshole. Nothing is going to change that."

"Well, you need to get your ass moving because sulking in your bedroom isn't making anything better." My eyebrows rose at hearing Carlotta raise her voice for the first time in front of me. "I don't expect you to love him, but if you're both living here, you should be able to coexist."

"I'll be down for dinner," I said in a meek voice.

Carlotta offered me a triumphant smile. She was clearly pleased at her powers of persuasion. "Wonderful."

Tears welled up in my eyes as she left my room. Not only was Carlotta my friend, but she was also a mother figure to me. My mom passed away before she could take care of me or give me relationship advice. I wouldn't have survived living at the mansion without Carlotta.

Remembering I just agreed to eat with Luciano, I fell back on my bed and groaned. Three days without seeing him wasn't enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~