XV

The dark sheets were the first thing I noticed when I opened my eyes. Although, I couldn't tell if the reason they grabbed my attention was because they were different from my regular ones, or because I found them empty.

I rubbed my forehead before pushing against the headboard to stretch out the entirety of my body. Light poured in through the windows, but didn't go far with the black decor absorbing it right away. Even though I enjoyed the most peaceful sleep I had experienced within the past few days, I could not bring myself to jump out of bed. I would have preferred to burrow under the thick comforter for longer and let the soft mattress swallow me whole.

When I turned my body towards the nightstand, the time on the digital clock read 13:00. I sat up when I realized I had slept the morning away. I raised my arms over my head, stretching one last time before leaving Luciano's bed. The day may have been half gone, but considering I hadn't felt this well rested in ages, it was worth it.

I crossed the small distance between our bedroom doors so I could grab a change of clothes. I had fallen asleep in my workout clothes and needed a shower before going downstairs. Though the hot water tried to lull me into staying there much longer, I stepped out as soon as I finished washing myself.

Once I turned the water off, I didn't waste any time with my hair. I simply brushed it and threw it into a messy bun. My stomach growled at me. I had slept through breakfast, and the more time I spent getting ready, the more lunch time was waning away.

I didn't take a second look at my baggy crew neck sweater and leggings before exiting the bathroom. Carlotta never minded how I looked. And after last night, when I was a snotty, sobbing wreck, I didn't think Luciano would care much either.

"Late night?" Carlotta asked as soon as I entered the kitchen. Her tone was light, but her raised brow revealed she knew where I spent the majority of last night and this morning.

"Please, don't start with me." I moved past Carlotta to make myself a bowl of the pasta that was left over from lunch.

"Start what?"

"Prying into my social life like a nosy aunt who's as giddy as a teenage girl."

Carlotta leaned her elbows onto the counter as I sat across from her to eat. "You don't have to share anything with me that you don't want to.  It's just that I can't help it if the maids around here chatter. And today they were chattering about how somebody wasn't in their own bed this morning."

"Well, the maids should really start minding their own business."

"Don't be bothered by their gossip. Their lives here are quite dull without it."

I shook my head. "You wouldn't be saying that if it was your life they were gossiping about."

"Maybe not."

Carlotta gave me a knowing smile before turning around to put away the leftovers and clean the dishes. I took my time eating my lunch, for once not because I dreaded seeing Luciano but because I just wanted to enjoy a meal. Carlotta knew her way around the kitchen, and every plate she made deserved appreciation.

When I finished eating, I placed my cleared plate next to the sink for Carlotta to wash. There were still times I felt guilty leaving her to clean up after me, but I knew offering to help would only cause a fight with her. She enjoyed her job and didn't see a reason why I shouldn't let her do it.

The hallways that once seemed unnavigable no longer intimidated me. I strode through each one as though I were on a mission. There was no need to meander when I knew exactly where I was going. My footsteps pressed into the ground with a weight of confidence.