Chapter 33: The Promise

"Here you should drink this herbal tea for you to recover faster"

"Are you hungry Kyojuro-kun?"

"I made you some daifuku"

"Please be careful"

"Are you cold?"

With Kyojuro who has finally woken up, Shinobu gave the 'okay' sign that he's allowed to go home and recuperate at their own residence. Hikaru and Senjuro helped the man and surprisingly, Shinjuro had already prepared his room when they arrived which made Kyojuro happier. This could be a sign of their father finally warming up and who knows, maybe he might return to his old self someday.

Kyojuro couldn't be more happier as he is today when Hikaru had decided to take care of him as he recovers. Just imagine your crush taking care of you and treating you ever so kindly and lovingly. That's what he feels that he can't take off the smile on his face.

"Are you okay Kyojuro-kun? You have been smiling ever since I came here"

Hikaru asked the man and took a seat beside him as they are currently by the engawa. It was already evening and Hikaru was worried that he might catch a cold because of the the decreasing temperature.

"I'm more than okay now that you're here with me"

He replied with a bright grin making Hikaru smile shyly. He really knew how to touch a woman's heart just by his words.

"Rengoku-san allowed me to stay here for the night and oh! He likes the chamomile tea I've brought the other day. Looks like he's starting to warm up"

"Really?! I'm glad that it seems like father has taken a liking to you and I'm happy for that. Looks like there won't be any problem in the future then"

Kyojuro stated warmly but his last words gave the girl confusion. His words held meaning that only he can understand.

'What does he mean by in the future?'

She wanted to ask but Kyojuro suddenly faced her with his eye smile. His face slightly pale from the cold and his golden eyes shimmering under the setting sun. His golden tuffs resting on his face and Hikaru gently pried his hair to see his handsome face fully. Kyojuro leaning in her touch when she placed her warm hand on his cold cheek, her warmth giving him comfort.

"What's wrong Kyou-kun?"

He asked the man with worry laced in her voice. Kyojuro stayed silent for a while, his eye closed. Her face frowned as she caressed his bandaged left eye which was crushed during his battle with Akaza. Shinobu stated that his left eye will be fine but a high possibility of blindness is there. Kyojuro opened his uninjured eye, engulfing the girl's hand that's touching his face with his large hand.

"Will you ever leave me?"

She was taken aback with his question. She never expected him to ask such question but even so, her answer is already settled. She came in terms with what she really wanted and what she desires for her future and the man currently infront of her will be her future.

"You know I won't"

She gave him a closed eyed smile.

"After all, why would I leave the man I have yet to spend the future with. I love Kyojuro-kun and I'm ready to spend the rest of my life with him"

Her simple words hit him so hard that he can't help but stand up abruptly and pulled the girl in his arms, her face buried in his sturdy chest as he hugged her waist tightly. Nothing can explain what he's feeling right now. He leaned his chin on top of her head.