Chapter 46: Not your Girlfriend

Killian's POV

It had been a week since Loren and I returned from Destin, a week since my mother broke the news to me that my father had cancer. As much as I tried to brush it off, I couldn't. The man pissed me off beyond end... but the man was also my father. 

Loren hadn't said much on the subject other than apologizing and comforting me. I understood why though, I hadn't said much pleasant things about him. But that was because I didn't really have many pleasant memories with him. Since I started College, our relationship fell through. The first time I saw him in years was actually at our house in Destin. Same with my mother. 

It hurt that the rest of my family got caught in the crossfire, but they made it clear when I left who's side they stood on. 

I stood at the kitchen counter as the world's most beautiful girl walked in wearing one of my t-shirts. She yawned and joined me, grabbing my cup of coffee and taking a sip. 

"What are you thinking about?" her soft voice broke the silence. 

I let out a deep breath and put an arm around her, breathing in her hair before leaving a kiss. "Nothing" I mumbled. 

"Killian," her voice rose and she started to sound like my mother. "I haven't said much about the thing with your family because honestly I don't feel like it's my place.. but they are your family after all. I think they deserve to meet with you and talk.. given the circumstances" she trailed off. her body shifted away from me as if she was afraid of how I would react but she was right. They are my family.

"I know," I responded and ran my hand through my hair. 

"You know?" She responded surprised

"Yes," I needed to swallow my pride and just invite my family to Seattle. It was my choice to push them out so now it was my choice to invite them back. Loren nodded her head in response and her precious lips curved into a smile. 

"Okay, well now that we have that decided, let's go out tonight!" She turned towards me and her small smile had now turned into a full blown grin. 

"I don't know Princess..." I trailed off thinking about the piles of paperwork on my desk at work. "Adam took on a lot of weight last week so I need to help out now". 

The smile fell from her face and she looked down at the coffee cup. A wave of guilt rushed over me, I hated neglecting her. "It's okay," She finally whispered. 

I looked at my watch and kissed her goodbye as I left for work. The day was going to be full of meetings and no time for paperwork. I sighed as I walked out of the elevator to my car, already counting down the seconds until I could get home. 

***

Adam and I walked out of the third meeting of the day and I felt like I had hit a wall. Thankfully we had about an hour before the next meeting so I was able to step away to grab a coffee. I still hadn't told Adam about what my mother told me when I saw her. He had stepped up so much in the company since what happened in London, I didn't want to burden him anymore. 

I pulled into my spot at the cafe where I had first met Loren. Walking into the door, the smell of roasted coffee and fresh pastries hit me. I walked over to the counter and ordered the mocha, thinking about my father again. As I was waiting for my order I heard a very familiar and lovable giggle. I quickly turned on my toes to see my girl sitting at the window with another woman I recognized to be Melissa. 

"Ian!" The barista called out and immediately Loren turned in my direction and made eye contact with me. She was just as beautiful as she was the first day I saw her. She smiled even larger and her friend looked over at me, wide eyed.