Chapter 18: The Big Apple

Loren's POV

Melissa and I followed the signs for baggage claim after exiting our plane at JFK. We had to take the subway to Manhattan where Emma lives but honestly, I don't think either of us knew how to navigate that mess. We didn't really use public transportation in Seattle. The city just wasn't big enough to require it.

Emma texted us that morning telling us that she had something last minute to do for work so couldn't meet us at the airport and sent us her address.

"I really wish Emma could meet us," I said with a sigh as I looked at the Subway map once we grabbed our luggage.

"I know, but we got this! We won't let New York's subway system ruin our vacay!" Melissa exclaimed as she also looked at the map.

"Okay, so it looks like we take the airport subway to here" I pointed at some station just west of the airport "and then we get on another subway here," I pointed at another spot on the map "and then we get onto another here, making sure to get off at Greenwich". I spoke, not really sure of what I was saying. Melissa didn't look too convinced either since I saw her on her phone looking up direction.

"Orrrr, we could just get an uber.. besides we would have to bring all of our luggage on the subways and that doesn't sound like much fun"

With a sigh, I agreed. She did have a point. Imagining us trying to transfer ourselves along with our luggage did not look too pretty. We walked outside as she ordered an Uber which would be here in just a few minutes.

About 45 minutes later, we arrived in front of beautiful brownstone buildings. Our uber driver helped us unload our luggage before driving off to pick up his next passenger.

The building was beautiful and old, surrounded by several others which were similar but slightly different. Its exterior consisted of brick and there was a pair of black doors in between two large windows, facing the sidewalk. A few stairs led the way up to the doors. In front of the buildings were beautifully trimmed bushes and a few trees were dispersed next to the road on the sidewalk. The building was about 3 stories high.

About 5 minutes later, we heard a high pitched squeal as Emma started to run our way, her golden curls bouncing with every step. I was blown away at how fast she was running considering she was wearing 5 inch heels. Running forward, I was excited to see her but was also trying to make the distance that she had to run shorter; slightly worried that she might break an ankle. She pulled me into a deep hug, squealing when she grabbed hold of me.

"How are you!?!" She asked "Melissa get over here and join our hug!!!!"

I heard Melissa sigh in the background as she quickly walked over to us and joined in our hug making Emma giggle once again.

We entered the brick building and walked up three flights of stairs. She opened the door to her apartment and we were instantly greeted with a floral smell. We walked in and the place was spotless, just as beautiful as the exterior. We walked into the living room which had a green velvet couch, a gold and glass coffee table, and two leather armchairs on the other side. Next to it was an old style fireplace with a white mantel, various pieces of art and brass candleholders placed on it.

She walked us to the guest bedroom which had a queen size bed, a dresser, and two night stands. After placing our suitcases in it, she showed us the rest of the place. The kitchen was small but was perfect for her. Emma wasn't known to be a big fan of cooking. Behind the couch was a large window that looked out to the street we were just on. In front of the window was a small wooden table with three black chairs around it.

The apartment was so well decorated, it fit Emma so well. It was old and classic and held so much character. She had different vintage photographs hung on the wall near the dining table, all in unique frames. On the counter was a vase filled with fresh flowers.