Chapter 2 - Preparing for a Wedding

That night when Eleanor went to bed, her two younger sisters crept into her room and slipped under the covers, one on each side of her. Her sixteen year old sister Margaret whispered, "I can't believe you're really getting married Eleanor. So what is Thomas Fletcher like?"

Her fourteen year old sister Alice whispered from the other side of her, "Is he very handsome?" she asked with a dreamy look in her eyes and a smile. Then her two sisters started to giggle excitedly. 

Eleanor took a deep breath in and let it out before saying, "No, not at all," with a sigh, looking up at the ceiling. "He's quite the opposite actually," she added sadly.

"What does he look like? Describe him to us," Alice said, still looking excited.

"Well, he has a long, pointy nose that's quite severe and squinty little eyes and his beard covers up most of his face and it's all scraggly and unkempt."

Both her sisters grimaced.

"He is very tall at least, but he's also got a round belly and he looks quite out of shape. I imagine he hasn't had to do manual labor a day in his life and it shows."

"How old is he?" Alice asked.

Eleanor took a deep breath in and let it out. "I think he's in his early thirties but I'm not certain. He has four children and his oldest is twelve so it's quite possible."

"Four children!" Alice repeated in shock. Margaret looked shocked too.

Eleanor let out an exhale. "You haven't even heard the worst part. He's got four sons that are apparently VERY badly behaved and he wants me to take charge of them once we're married since he can't seem to keep a nanny."

"That sounds horrid," Margaret said, shaking her head in disbelief. "I can't even imagine it."

They sat there in silence for a minute before Eleanor said, "I know he may not be what I dreamed of for a husband. He's certainly not a fairy tale, but this is the real world and women like us don't have many options. If our father passes away, we could all be turned out on the street. At least Thomas will give our family security."

Seeing her sisters gloomy faces made her feel bad.

"Thomas does seem like a nice man," she added, trying to raise their spirits. "He said he passed me in the street and thought I was the most beautiful creature he had ever laid eyes upon and he knew right then and there that he needed to make me his wife."

"Awww. That's sweet," Alice said with a smile.

Her sisters stayed snuggled up in her bed that night and they stayed up talking for over an hour.

"It's just a shame Thomas isn't handsome," Alice said, with a big yawn, finally closing her eyes.

"Yes it is," Eleanor said with a sigh, sitting up and leaning over to blow out the candle on her nightstand.