THIRTY FIVE

Word Count: 1644

~Amolet

She knows we are mates. How, I don't know, but she knows.

Cian's gaze seizes me, but reveals nothing. Panic overwhelms me as I realise everyone in this room is genuinely expecting me to walk up and kiss him, despite the fact that he is my mate and this is the last situation I want to be in when I reveal to him that we are. I would hate to know what Ira would do with that information once it has been confirmed.

"Absolutely not," I say firmly, backing up a wary step toward the door. Not that running out is of much use now. Now when I'm here, and none of them would even have to chase me to bring me back here.

"And why not?" It's questions, tilting her head to the side, smile in that sick, sardonic way that I imagine is her signature.

I look around at Sinful, Hale and Cian all in turn, each with their own unique look of shock on their faces. "I'm not going to kiss him in front of all his siblings, you freak."

Even Lev doesn't seem to know what to do with himself, staring at me with wide eyes, clearly wanting to tell me that's a bad idea without the repercussions. When I glance back at Ira, the smile has vanished from her face, a dark fury building beneath her expression, willing to emerge and cast her wrath upon all of us. I won't be scared of her though, not when I've been gifted - or cursed - with these powers to defend myself.

She steps forward, the painted floorboards creaking tauntingly under foot. "Don't insult me."

"What Amolet meant, is that she is nothing more than a stupid, smart-mouthed mortal who means nothing to you, Ira," Sinful cute, in grabbing his sisters forearm. Surprisingly, she merely yanks it away, not throwing any insults his way like she is so inclined to do with me. "So why waste all your time on taunting her?"

"Boredom, and she's irritated me," Ira grits out.

Were she not Wrath, with a temper that doesn't make me doubt her title as a Sin, I would be jealous of her. She commands all the attention in the room, willing everyone to be privy to her emotions and desires. However, she only gets that by intimidating people, making them weaken and bow to her until she is fully satisfied.

"Ira, are you in or not? Let's skip the childish banter," Cian mutters, finally speaking. Involving himself a moment earlier may have pressed Ira to keep demanding us closer, to inevitably kiss.

"And what is this mortal worth to you, for you to protect her dignity?" Ira questions, assessing me from head to toe blatantly, looking disappointed at whatever she finds lacking. "Last time we spoke, brother, you couldn't care less about mortals. For Greed, I'm disappointed."

"Not all of us take these burdens so seriously," he responds quietly.

Losing a mate changed him. Whoever he was before I met him, I doubt it's the same man I stand in the room with today. Once you find your mate, your entire life comes down to that moment, which by the sounds of it, Ira has yet to find out about.

Ira rolls her eyes, leaning against the back of the couch, stretching her legs in front of her, the soft fabric of her dress billowing around her thighs. "Burdens? Sinful, is being Lust a burden?"

"No. My mate doesn't think so, especially," Sinful responds, the smirk on his face making me exhale shortly from my nose. We're I not so grateful that he has riveted Ira's attention from me, due to him knowing my secret, I may have kicked him in the ankle.

"Your mouth ruins everything," Ira mutters. Equally irked. "And Hale, is being Sloth a burden?"

Everyone glances towards Hale, who lingers near one of the windows, looking out past the faded net curtain. I'm not sure what he thinks about when he dozily looks out the windows into nothingness. Despite him being eternally bored and uninterested in life as it passes by, as Cian has informed me, I imagine there is something far more complex going on within him. He can't look like that, with all his silver tattoos and enigmatic look, for nothing.