FORTY FOUR

Word Count: 1846

~Amolet

Thea motions to her couch, which Abella and I both sit on, facing her as she leans her back against the opposite wall.

"Thea is mated to Alpha Jasper," Abella explains.

Looking back up at Thea, I'm surprised. I've never known much about the other Packs from the mortal realm, including their Alpha's and their mates. But I do remember hearing about Jasper dying, I just had no idea it included his mate. And now she stands opposite me, a solemn, sad look in her eyes.

"And you're dead?" I'm not sure if that's something I shouldn't be asking, considering the situation, but I'm dead now too, even if it doesn't feel like it...

"Unfortunately," Thea mutters. I don't dare ask how long she has been here, but by her fed-up demeanour and the amount of furnishings in her house compared to Abella, it's been a long time. "I can get you out, but we need to be quick. I can't have anyone tailing us."

"Let's go now then," Abella insists. She's glancing toward the door, anxious that Noah is going to wake soon and realise our absence. How she is going to manage once I'm gone with him around, I'm not sure, but something gives me the idea that she might be better off, considering how easily she took Kace out.

"Where is your mate?" I ask Thea.

"Far from here. We were separated," she tells me, turning away, although I can hear the emotion in her voice. He is suffering, being so far from her mate for who knows how long. I can't imagine such a feeling...I haven't been away from Cian for very long, and I'm already feeling his absence with everything in me.

"If you have a way out of here, why haven't you left?" I question.

"I won't leave until I'm reunited with my mate," she tells me surely, gathering her things from around the room. I don't blame her, yet my heart still hurts. I'm leaving two good people behind, when they should really be coming back with me, if they could.

I chew the edge of my lip, wrapping my arms around myself. "I really need to get back to mine."

"Then let's go." Thea opens the door, looking out onto the street before motioning for us to follow her out.

We wander out, keeping close together as we walk in the shadows. Strictly no words are shared between us as we walk swiftly, until the buildings start thinning out, and the path turns from cobbled to natural, and trees begin to appear.

Thea leads us into the forest, turning her flashlight on to guide us. Numerous questions swirl in my mind, trying to make sense of what is happening and where Thea is leading us. Whatever portal this is, it's hidden from most people, meaning Thea learnt about this from someone else living here...

But again, I don't ask questions.

Eventually Thea pauses, cutting off the path toward what looks like the mouth of a cave, covered by draping vines. I stand a couple feet away from it, staring at is apprehensively. This doesn't look like a portal necessarily, although then again, I'm not sure what a portal should look like.

"This is it. Walk in here, and it will take you back," Thea instructs, pulling back the vines to motion into the shadows.

"Thank you. Both of you," I say earnestly, turning to both Abella and Thea in turn. They both look sad, and I can tell they are each having thoughts about leaving too, despite the consequence. "I wish I didn't have to leave you."

Abella grabs my hand, squeezing it tightly. "You don't belong here. You need to go, and you need to kill Stace."

"I'm going to do exactly that," I assure her.