Chapter 15~ A Birthday on the Beach

Edmund stayed with me the whole night. Sleep was not a cold, evasive stranger but was friendly...pleasant. He had wrapped me up in his arms and had draped his beat-up coat across my sleeping body. And both of us left this world for an overnight adventure—together this time. My Cabin Boy...The heart of gold in need of polishing...My ending I thought would never come...And my best friend.

He woke early. I stirred briefly and caught his arm before his departure. Half-asleep, I tried to form words and keep my eyes open.

"Don't go..."

"I have to, love." Edmund planted a kiss atop my forehead and squeezed my hand quickly. As soon as he'd woken, he was gone, leaving me with his jacket.

It wasn't long until I woke again. The morning was truly blessed. Sunlight squeezed through the cracks and drifted in the winter air. I pulled the jacket around me and untied the rags around my crushed foot, making sure not to look at the blood. But, I realized the bigger problem much more quickly. Edmund left his jacket, and if Tew saw...

"Shit."

There was nowhere to hide in a place like that. I struggled for some idea—anything—to put off the disaster yet to come. Luckily, I recalled the loose floorboards and scrambled to pry one up again. I worked desperately until the bones in my fingers ached. But, the nails eventually pried up and a safe place revealed itself. With a last hug of the jacket, I stuffed it down into empty space and sealed it away. Enduring the rest of the day already felt like a trial. My mind was now a tornado of reflection of the night before. Every memory felt bigger-than-life like it was all just a fantastic dream. It wasn't common for me that dreams turned out to be reality. My energy had spiked tremendously. However, the day was filled with nothing, curiously—no visits, no shanties, no fights. After the boot's wrath, I suspected Tew wasn't giving up easily. I would've been terrified of dying by his hand before, but things were different now. I didn't worry about death, for I had an angel by my side.

**********

When the night fell, I had counted every knot in every floorboard—36, for the record—and every nail that I could potentially use as a weapon. But, the day-long silence ushered in eeriness. When all was dark, I retrieved Edmund's jacket and wrapped myself in it to ward off the frigidness and hide from the mystery outside. Night came faster nowadays. It was a gloomy sheet over the glorious day I was so relieved to see. And pulling the sheet back away was damn near impossible. After the seemingly endless hours, Edmund finally returned like usual. He wore a smile that normally would never make it through that door. I climbed up onto my feet and hugged him as if I hadn't seen him in ages. He hugged me back, and I could feel his grin staining my own cheeks. Joy suited Edmund quite nicely.

"How are you, my love?"

"Better now that you've returned. I do think my foot is beginning to heal, thanks to you."

He pecked my cheek and examined the thing. The more I imagined it—the sight of Edmund as a doctor—gave me faith in this world's future. Knowing the hands of a loving soul will one day save lives could possibly save my own. But until then, watching him work was comfort enough.

"Have you ever felt this way before?" I hummed.

"Tired? I'm whacked every night, lass."

"No. Have you ever..." I touched his arm gently to draw attention. "...felt this way before?"

His eyebrows raised, understanding.

"Oh." He thought for a second, but it didn't take long. "No. And I was sure when I first felt this way, I was mistaken—just overpowered by the thrill of havin' a girl aboard." Edmund's hands cradled mine gently, tenderly. "But, when you'd give up your life for another, it's not just some simple stirrin' anymore."