{Chapter 6}

Narrator's POV:

It was getting dark. Catheline had her plan perfectly laid out. She would tell the maids that she is tired and shall go to her chambers early, telling everyone not to disturb her. Then, she would prepare everything and head out as Lady Cassandra.

From then on, she will look out for the hooligans. Catheline finished the first step already and locked the doors of her bed chambers. Now, she needed to change into her warrior attire. Since there were three people she needed to fight, she had to be careful. Even one wrong move could end her life. When she was finished, she jumped out of the window and carefully hid in a huge tree in the middle of the castle.

Four hours had passed.

The castle was dark and quiet. Catheline could watch all the places from the tree. It was a good spot. She noticed the King's study and saw that her husband was still working. And Nathaniel was with him. She was aware that the ones who intend to attack them would try to separate them. So she could use that to her advantage. She waited and waited.

Three more hours have passed, and there was no sign of anyone entering the castle. Catheline was getting a little impatient and tired now. But she had to maintain her position and kept herself active.

Suddenly, she noticed that something was moving near the shadows of the rose gardens. She saw three black figures in there. Catheline knew who they were.

Then, the biggest figure of those three went alone. Catheline assumed that it was Sir Vilen. She headed out to the rose gardens to intercept the other two.
.................................................................

As she reached there quietly, she heard the two people talking.

"If this assassination is successful, then Lord Elest Simion will be the king," She heard the man say, who was recognized used as Carlos.

"Be quiet. You talk too much." The other man said. But Carlos continued, paying no heed.

"You shut up. I think this time it will be successful. Sir Vilen is the best assassin known in the land. The previous king was frivolous, so he was easy to kill. Unfortunately, the young prince was still alive. But now-"

Catheline stepped on the ground hard enough to make them hear. The two men were startled.

Catheline stepped out, but since it was dark, they could not see her properly.

"Who goes there!?" Carlos yelled, drawing out his sword.

Catheline smiled. It has been a while since she fought in the dark. But she loved it. She pulled out her sword too, Waterlight. She spun the delicate blade in her hands before leaping forward.
____________________________________

It was about time Xander retired to his chambers. His thoughts still lingered at the memory of how he embraced his wife. It would be done out of the blue and unexpectedly.

He left the study with Nathaniel following him. The hallways were dark and quiet. But suddenly there was a sound. Nathaniel pulled out his sword, looking around.

"Go," The King told his aide, who looked reluctant but followed the order anyways.

The moment Nathaniel left, he tensed and started to turn around knowingly.

"Get out. I know you are there," He said, touching the hilt of his sword.

Not so surprisingly, the hooded figure emerged from the dark soon. He already had a sword in his dark gloved hand.

"You have good senses," he said, in a strange mocking tone.

"What do you want?" Xander asked him, frowning.