{Chapter 27}

Narrator's POV:

The entire castle was lifeless. People performed their duties, with their heads bowed down. They moved in groups and silence. The sky was crammed with grey clouds and looked as if it will rain like it never did before.

The King was near the gardens, walking around to take things off his mind. Too much has happened to him and so much was taken. He wandered the gardens pointlessly as his aide looked at him nervously. The King had not disclosed the conversation he had between himself and Lady Daraa.

It must be too personal and upsetting seeing that both people looked quite silent.

Meanwhile, near the dark corners of the castle, a hooded figure seemed to lurk. The person looked around cautiously and opened a small door to the outside. It appears to be a secret tunnel.

"The castle is defenseless," the deep voice said, his dark aura radiating through the cold space. "This is our chance,"
.................................................................

In the maid's common chambers,  a red-haired girl was curled under her blanket, feeling upset. She had been reprimanded by the Queen, which made her worthless and not to be trusted. She was not sure what she had done wrong. There were several other people with her too but they all ignored her.

"What do you think happened?" One of them whispered to the other.

"Seems like the Queen scolded her. She refused to leave this room since last night," the other one replied.

She was a very talkative girl and was sniggering at the lonely red hair girl. She had never liked her anyways.

"Well, was she not proud that she was close to the Queen? She thought so highly of herself," the talkative maid continued loudly.

"She is right there. Stop talking," the first maid scolded her. The talkative one scoffed.

"Her Grace has been so moody these days. I wonder what is wrong with her---"

"Shut it, Macy!" The girl under the blanket emerged while pushing the blanket aside aggressively.

The talkative girl named Macy rolled her eyes. "What? Have I said something wrong?" She said, refusing to admit that she was false.

"Macy, I think that is enough---"

"It is alright!" Macy snapped at her companion furiously, which made her shut up.

Suddenly, the doors opened and a blonde-haired girl entered the room. "What on earth is going on?"

"Ellen, forget it..." the red-haired girl spoke. "Just someone badmouthing others as usual,"

Before Macy can retort, Ellen, sighed and approached the red-haired girl.

"What is the matter with you, Karra? You seem to be upset since yesterday," she said as she sat beside her.

Karra looked away and fell silent. She did not wish to say that she had been scolded because the Queen had doubted her dear friend. Ellen looked at her friend thoughtfully and patted her shoulder.

"You can tell me, Karra," she told her.

Karra looked at her and sighed. She decided to confide in what the Queen had told her last night. Ellen listened to her, so stunned that she did not speak a word. Karra broke down in tears and hugged Ellen, who was drowned in her thoughts.

She covered every single track of her being undercover. How could the Queen suspect her? What possibility did she leave that made her doubt her?