Chapter 31

Over two weeks have passed without any word from Shade. He's going to hate me forever. I've talked to Sophie and Carly a bit but I want to give them all space. That's probably the only thing I can do right now. 

It's Saturday night and I'm watching a movie with the boys in the living room. We made caramel popcorn.

The front door suddenly bursts open and my raging mother storms in, her phone clutched in her hand, "You knew!"

I look at her in confusion as she walks up to where we're sitting, "Knew what Mom?"

"About Derek!"

My blood runs cold. What has she found out?

"I just got a call from him. He said he's out of prison and is coming here to visit." She rages. She sounds angry but I can see the pure terror behind her eyes. 

Here? He's coming here? We need to leave. Now. 

"Mom we need to leave, he's dangero-"

She cuts me off by pushing Austin to the ground, kicking him in her frustration. He whimpers, curling into a ball. I stand up, pushing her off of him. I wrestle her to the ground. We turn around until she's on top of me, landing punches to my torso and face. I wince, "Mom, stop."

She moves her hands to my neck and presses down hard until I can't breathe. I choke, "Mom."

I claw at her hands, trying to break free. I cough as stars cloud my vision. My brain feels like it's throbbing against my skull. My lungs burn, unable to take in any air. My chest feels tight.

She's pushed off of me and I inhale sharply, trying to catch my breath. I see a teary faced Austin, "Get off of her!"

She lunges towards him but I intercept her, taking the punch that was meant for Austin. My body is going to hate me in the morning. I barely feel the pain, blinded by the shock when the door opens again and he walks in, a wicked grin on his face. 

Derek stands in the doorway, "Hello family. Fighting without me? No fair."

Everyone stops, staring at him with wide eyes. My mother stands, "Get out murderer. Your father killed himself because of you."

"Aw come on, the past is in the past. Let's just be a happy family now." He says. His wicked eye catches on the small boy cowering against the wall, "Ah, this must be the son I heard about. Miracle baby. I thought he was dead when I ripped open his mother's body, but...alas here we are."

"Stay away from him," I snarl at Derek. My head feels hot, like it's on fire and my brain is pounding against my skull trying to escape the burning building. 

He approaches me, "Dear sister. We used to be so close. What happened? I thought it was you and me against the world."

"You became a killer. And a psychopath. That's what happened." I spit. 

Anger flashes in his eyes and he pushes me hard against the wall. My back screams in pain. I think I hear a crack from my ribs. I groan. 

He bares his teeth at me, "Watch your mouth sister. I came here to start over. I want us to be a family again. Why won't you let us be happy? The man of the house has returned."

My eyes widen again when he pulls a switchblade out of his pocket and runs the tip gently across my face. It doesn't draw blood, just close enough to scare me. I tremble in fear. Austin stares at me and my mother watches doing nothing. I look from Austin to the house phone. He moves his gaze to where I'm looking and nods quickly, sprinting over and climbing onto the counter to call the police. 

Derek looks over and growls. He lets me go, moving towards Austin. I knee him in the side, jumping onto his back, wrapping my arms around his neck. He spins us around and I squeeze tighter. He claws at my arms, leaving scratches. 

"Go to hell," I whisper.

He spins me around to get me loose and throws me against the wall so I fall off of him. He grabs me by the neck and pins me to the wall, "You're a real bitch you know. Always were."

His gaze slips up and down my body, "You sure did get hot though while I was away. Maybe we'll have some fun later."

I struggle against him as his hands trail my body. I shutter in disgust when he moves his hand along my breasts. 

"Derek," I whisper, "stop. Please. Brothers don't act like this with their sisters."

He touches me with more force so I knee him in the groin, my entire body shaking in fear. He curses and grabs me by my hair as I try to get away. He pulls me back roughly and grabs my head in his hand. Without hesitation, he slams my head against the wall. White hot pain erupts in my head, I slump to the ground, clutching my head.

Austin shouts something but I can't make it out in my daze. Everything is blurry as I turn on my side, trying to get up. My movements are sluggish. I cry out when Derek lunges for Austin who's still sitting on the counter top, holding the phone against him. 

The door bursts open and people rush in. I don't know how many are there, I can't concentrate on anything. My head feels like it's going to explode. I try to crawl over to Austin who's now surrounded by police. Derek's being dragged away screaming. 

A sharp pain in my side makes me gasp and I reach a shaky hand down. It comes away wet with blood. I blink. Did Derek cut me? I don't remember that. It sure hurts like hell thought. My vision swims.

Someone runs towards me, but my vision is blurry. I cough up blood and fall onto my side, my head feels hot and heavy. 

I feel my head being lifted slightly and strong hand cradling my head. I force my eyes open, my blurry vision making out a face that looks like Shade's. But it can't be Shade. Why would he be here? I'm dying. That's what it is. I'm hallucinating from blood loss and I'm imagining his face onto someone else's body. 

After all I've done and everything I've been through, this is it. I'm going to die. I'll probably see my brother in hell. The person above me is saying something but I can't hear anything. I know it's not really Shade, but it brings me comfort anyway. 

I feel myself slipping. I whisper, "I love you."

Even if just God hears it, that'll be enough. Maybe he can relay the message to Shade. Tell him I love him.