Chapter 31

The last week before they had to leave for Lina's wedding arrived quickly. It started off just like any other normal work week and by the end of it, they would leave for Italy. But that Monday was far from being a normal one.

Eleanor arrived at work exactly on time, as she did every single day. And as per usual, she was the first one to arrive. She sat at her desk and started working, then, one by one, her coworkers started to arrive. But inside the office at the end of the corridor, things were not as quiet. Chaos had been unleashed inside Sebastian's office, and Eleanor could not be more oblivious to what was going on around her.

'Why, Sebastian? Why?' Larissa yelled at him and placed her iPad on Sebastian's desk.

She tapped the screen furiously with her index finger, making an annoying tapping noise with her nail. She wanted to be sure that Sebastian paid attention to what was on the screen.

'What do you want me to say?' he shrugged and turned to the window.

Larissa went around Sebastian's desk and placed herself in front of the window, forcing him to face her.

'You should've been more careful. I have warned you so many times before. You need to be more careful about your public image. Why haven't you learned this already?'

She had her fists on her hips and a stern look on her face.

'How should I have known that this would happen?'

'Oh, really? Are you actually saying to me that the thought did not cross your mind? Come on, Sebastian. You are not that dumb.'

Sebastian ran his fingers through his hair as he looked at the screen and read the article. Was the title and after that there were a bunch of pictures of him and Eleanor. Pictures of them on the different dates they had, pictures inside the restaurants, pictures of them walking around the park, and even pictures of them in the theater. Who even has the time to follow us around like that? And who the hell even cares? He thought as he tossed the iPad aside.

'You caught everyone's attention because you are being seen in public with the same person repeatedly.'

'What's so wrong about that?'

'Nothing. Absolutely nothing. But. Don't get me wrong. It's out of character for the Sebastian Crain that people know from the tabloids.'

'Why do you even care about this, Larissa?'

'I care, because this isn't just about you. It also affects this company's image since it is your company. And this time it also affects someone else's life. It's about her too. I like that girl,' — her tone of voice was loud and harsh — 'it's not the first time that something like this has happened and I'm sure that it won't be the last. But just try to fix this, Sebastian.'

'It will be the last time. Trust me on that.'

'Whatever, Sebastian.' She sighed. 'Have you at least talked to her about this?'

'No. I don't even think that she knows. She doesn't read this type of thing. She doesn't read the gossip about me.'

'That's part of the problem. It's not just gossip about you. It's about her. I think that this time she will care.'

'But it doesn't say her name, and you can't tell for sure who it is by these pictures.'

'It's still her. Someone might recognize her. For the people that know her is not that hard to realize that it's her.' Larissa sighed. She wasn't as mad after seeing the concerned look on Sebastian's face. 'Do you have any ideas on how to solve this?'

'Maybe. I don't know. I've one, but I don't know if it will work.'

'Just talk to her and do something about this.'

Sebastian took a deep breath.

'Can you tell her to come to my office?'

'No,' she said, looking him straight in the eyes, 'your problem. Your mess. You deal with it. You are a grown man, for Christ's sake.'

'Fine,' he whined.

Worried, Eleanor rushed to Sebastian's office right after seeing his text. Something happened. It's urgent. Can you come to my office, please? As soon as possible.

'Are you okay?' she asked as she opened the door.

'Have you read any news about me today?'

Eleanor chuckled.

'I told you, I don't care. You are not the center of the universe and—'

'That's not why I'm asking.'

Her smile faded as soon as she realized Sebastian was not smiling back. He didn't have his usual grin or his obnoxious and overwhelming confidence.

'What's wrong?'

'Please, please don't hate me.'

'You are scaring me, Sebastian.'

The man sighed. He was the one that was scared, scared of what her reaction would be as soon as he showed her the photos.

'Come on, Sebastian. Just tell me. Whatever it is, I promise I won't judge you or hate you.'

'I'm not so sure about that,' he said as he showed her what was on his laptop screen.

'Oh.'