That Star-Spangled Banner

•• ━━━━━ •1819• ━━━━━ ••

Hawaii sat in the woman's hut as the feast went on. Even despite her near-godliness, this was one rule she had to follow, and that was the segregation between men and women while they ate.

She was allowed to eat with her father or her brothers when they were alive, but here and now, with them dead and gone, Hawaiʻi ate with the women, as was proper. She prepared her own food. As was proper. Hawaiʻi let herself be put apart from the rest of the women and allowed herself to be fed different foods than the rest of them.

She had gotten tattoos on her legs to mark her transition to an adult. She took an aikāne, Pulelehua, although she couldn't bear to make it more than a friendship. She sat with her hands on her knees, looked away when people bowed, never allowed anyone to meet her eyes.

As was proper, she followed every rule, every kapu (or taboo, as Britain said) to a T.

This was a time of celebration mixed with the sadness of a king's passing. He had been the great aliʻi nui, the one who had united this kingdom, nearly a god in his own right. Kamehameha the Great was now gone.

Because of this, his young son, Liholiho, was ruling in his place, and this feast was for him.

Well... anyone with half a brain knew that he wasn't the one ruling. Kamehameha's favourite wife (out of nearly 30), Ka'ahumanu, was the real one in charge, and anyone could see that.

Ka'ahumanu had made a new position just for her so she could rule from the backseat. She called herself the Kuhina Nui. Find a way to sway the Kuhina Nui to your side, and you've got the king under your thumb to do as you wish. But Kaahumanu was not a woman easily swayed.

Hawai'i watched this all with a general distaste. Although she was loyal to the king and his family, she didn't like the way Ka'ahumanu compared her to European Nations all the time.

She would always say things like, "Oh, you could do this to be a little more like Beretania!", or, "Amelika does things this way, and I think it's better!" Hawaii would take these criticisms with a polite nod, trying not to explode.

Do you think I care how other countries act or what they believe in? I am the Kingdom of Hawai'i, not Britain or his Empire. If you want to be British, go live there! Hawaii stewed over the thoughts, but Keōpūolani, Liholiho's mother, motioned for her to sit by her side at the table.

Hawaii bowed as she sat without looking at her. "Is something wrong, my lady?"

Keōpūolani was nearly as high up as her. Kamehameha's highest ranking wife, the mother of Kalaninui kua Liholiho i ke kapu ʻIolani.

"No, I just want you to be here to witness this history in the making," She said a smile on her face, holding out a hand.

"I do not understand..." Hawaii said. "What is today?"

"Today is when we break the kapu on women and men eating separately. Today is the day we learn that no god will strike us down for doing something "

"What?" Hawaii's eyes widened in surprise. "You can't be serious! Our culture is based on kapu, Keōpūolani; you know that better than anyone! To break those rules would cause chaos and utter disregard of the gods!"

"However, they are a little silly, don't you think?" Kaahumanu waved her hand. "Like the law that women can't eat bananas. For what cause is this law? For what cause is Hawaiʻi not allowed to eat with her countrymen?"

"Kapu have been there since my Father was born. It's how we live." Hawaii tried not to show her anger. "And what about disrespecting the gods? Are you going to spit in their faces after what they have given you?"