Prequel- Chapter 3: Nonstop Flirting

Alena Fleur

"Phew," I heaved a sigh of relief, giving an impressed look at my side of the shared room.

I had just finished unpacking my luggage after getting back from vacation in Georgia with my family over the winter break. I generally loved unpacking, but the dread of classes and my part-time job starting tomorrow was eating away at me. I wish vacations never came to an end.

I slumped on my bed and looked around at the other two single beds, which were shared by my roommates. I cringed at their disorganized state. God, they made me want to strangle myself or them.

Even if I could overlook my roommates' messiness, one of them talked and giggled till late at night with her boyfriend and the other one smoked cigarettes and pot; the smell was absolutely suffocating.

How I managed sixteen months, only God knew. Maybe I was too relaxed and overjoyed to leave behind my parents' strict rules and regulations and finally had a life of my own.

Better late than never, I was going to have none of my roommates' shit starting next month. I had been saving up for a new apartment deposit for a while now by working part-time jobs. I even shortlisted a few affordable apartments. Sure, they were small and cramped, but it would be mine and I really could use some privacy to study better.

Until then, I had to live through the torture of my roommates.

Now, what to do—

The small vibration of my phone made a smile appear on my face. I picked it up and looked at the notification from Elian. It made my smile wider.

After we bumped again at the ski resort, I was the first to send him a friend request, but he was the one to initiate a conversation by replying to a story of mine where I was going to eat a brownie.

Ever since then, we started to text each other regularly. More like, flirting with each other. Unlike back at the ski resort where he got flustered by my direct hits on him, I learned that he was actually good at flirting too—never too cringy and never too standoffish. I liked that. I couldn't resist talking to him.

Elian:
"Are you done doing the favorite part of your trip?"

Alena:
"Yes. Everything is unpacked ;)"

I don't remember the context, but I ended up telling him that I honestly loved unpacking or anything related to organizing and it was absolutely comical how shocked he was because he also shared my love of organizing but disliked unpacking.

Elian:
"I'll never understand how one can like unpacking. It's so annoying."

Alena:
"I never questioned your love for packing. So why are you questioning mine, mister?"

Elian:
"Fair enough. But I guess in a way we would complement each other, don't you think?"

My smile widened, little heat rushing to my cheeks at the imagination of both of us going on a trip where we would each require to do one part. Despite understanding what he meant, I innocently replied,

Alena:
"What way?"

Elian:
"I know that you know."

My smile turned into a grin as I remembered one of my favorite shows.

Alena:
"This reminds me. Have you watched 'Friends'?"