Chapter 10: Brownies

Alena Fleur

Elian brought me home after the incident. He also bought the brownies that he promised.

"Are you going to watch as I take out my spare key, you stalker?" I asked.

"Why do you keep forgetting I'm your boss and you're supposed to show me respect?" he grumbled and turned around.

"Well, you don't like it when I call you 'Sir', so deal with it," I said and kneeled down to take out my spare key from under my neighbor's flower pot. I didn't keep it under my flower pot because of the high chances of getting robbed as a single lady.

"There are other ways to show respect, you know?" Elian said.

"I will show you respect when it's needed. Right now, I see no need," I replied.

"I think I deserve respect more than ever now. How many bosses do you think will bring their employees back home and buy them brownies?" he pointed out.

"Nice bosses would," I retorted and opened my apartment door.

"So you're indirectly saying I'm nice now?"

"Once in a while, you are," I said and turned to him with a smile. "Anyway, thanks. I mean it. It was very nice of you to bring me back home."

"No problem. Just try not to die during the weekend, especially considering how much trouble you're attracting this week," he said, and I chuckled.

"I will try not to." I took the brownie box bag from him and said, "So I'll see you next Monday then?"

He hummed, and as I was about to enter, he asked, "You're going to eat the brownies alone?"

"Yes, why?" I arched an eyebrow.

He shook his head. "No, nothing. You just don't seem like the type to enjoy eating alone."

True. He was right. I didn't like to eat alone. But when I have lived alone in this apartment for two years, how could I not learn to eat alone? Maybe I ate alone throughout my university life as well.

"Yes, I don't. But there's nothing I can do about it. Not like you're going to accompany me," I joked.

"Well, I could, if you want," Elian said, and I was genuinely surprised at his offer.

"You would? Why?"

"Because I have nothing else to do and you are sad, so I might as well do some charity," he said and walked past me inside the apartment as if it was his own home.

"Hey, don't just barge in!" I hollered after him and closed the door. "Don't you know you should never enter a girl's apartment or bedroom without permission?"

"Sure, whatever. It's not like your apartment is ever messy in the first place," he commented and sat down on the couch.

"How did you know?" I inquired.

"Well, I saw it when I came here a few days ago. Stop suspecting me at everything. I'm not stalking you." He shot me a glare.

I shrugged and walked to the kitchen to take out some plates. "Who knows? For all I know, you could have been the one to send the thief to steal my handbag so that I would have to spend the night with you after being homeless."

"Excuse me? I would have never told you about looking for a spare key if I wanted that," he retorted.

"Sure, as if that would have never occurred to me myself. Do you think I'm that dumb?" I questioned while opening the brownie box.