3

JESSIE QUICKLY realized that her boss was different from what she'd initially thought. Everyone had harsh things to say about Marilyn, but to Jessie, there was an extremely sweet side of her, "you're smiling, what's the good news?" Marilyn asked. Marilyn stood next to Jessie. Her body frame towered her assistant's by a mere two inches.

"I'm always smiling. Just not around you," Jessie sipped on her glass of wine, as she looked around the room filled with minglers.

"Why not?" Marilyn's eyes moved over the frame of Jessie's body. Jessie had decided to wear something a lot less professional, and a lot more skimpy that day. Her hair sat right above her shoulders, and the dress that she was wearing wasn't modest enough to be suited for an employee mixer. But everyone had broken the dress code that day, especially Rachel who'd thought shorts was a good idea.

Jessie shrugged and looked at Marilyn. Those hazel eyes searched Marilyn's face for something that she wasn't quite sure of, "your reputation is as dark as an evil witch," Jessie said.

Marilyn chuckled, "I'd think I've grown into a wicked witch, by now."

Jessie placed her glass down, and moved her palms down her sides, "there's nothing wicked about you, or evil for that matter."

Marilyn pressed her lips together in curiosity, "maybe I just haven't shown you that side yet."

Jessie looked at Harold flirting with Janice. She smiled, knowing that he'd probably never confront her again, "I've seen all your sides. You're not quite as bad as I'd expected," Jessie had heard many tales of Marilyn Isles. Her father despised the woman, and other doctors envied her. Marilyn had managed to build a reputable, medical practice within five years, and ever since then, she'd never failed to make her patients happy.

"And what did you expect?" Marilyn asked.

Jessie probably expected Marilyn to be as arrogant as her father. But Marilyn had proved Jessie's preconceptions wrong, in a lot of ways, "probably someone a lot more unattractive," Jessie answered.

Marilyn felt a blush invading her cheeks. She cleared her throat, and took a step backward, attempting to create space between them, "putting a face to the name always has its surprises," Marilyn said.

Jessie noticed Marilyn's attempt to create a boundary line, "I've seen your face long before that interview. I'm trying to say that your personality isn't as hideous as everyone thinks."

Marilyn lowered her gaze to the floor. She speculated the particles of dirt on the grey carpeting, "oh," Marilyn wasn't sure how to respond to that. She'd grown accustomed to being recognized for her domineering personality, which most had deemed as unattractive.

"Your wife's lucky to have you, Doctor Isles."

Marilyn looked at the ring on her finger. Jessie noticed. She wondered if Marilyn thought that she hadn't seen the ring, or if she was oblivious to the fact of her marriage. She'd recently found out that Marilyn was married to the Chief of Surgery at Mercy Hospital—Gina Siller.

"You think so?"

Jessie could sense the unease in Marilyn's question, "yes, I'm a good judge of character."

Marilyn inhaled a deep breath, as she looked into Jessie's hazel eyes, "sorry," Marilyn mumbled. She cleared her mind of her thoughts, and straightened her posture, "I'll be in my office. If my wife shows up, she'll know where to find me."

Gina was always too busy, and always came home late. Their marriage wasn't what either expected it to be after four years together. They barely saw each other, and didn't quite get along. But Marilyn did love her wife, and hopefully, vice versa.

HAROLD OBSERVED Jessie the entire night. Marilyn had taken a strong liking to Jessie very quickly, and everyone was noticing, even Raina, who was always oblivious to everything around her.

He'd even resorted to chatting up Janice—the last woman that he'd date in the office. She was more of a little sister, than a potential girlfriend. They'd been friends for years, even before they'd begun to work together at the practice.

When Marilyn finally went into her office, Harold decided that it was time to confront Jessie about what she'd done, "suicide hotline?"

Jessie's eyes flickered in surprise. She hadn't noticed Harold walking over to her, since she was lost in her thoughts, "you called, I see."

Harold pressed his lips against the rim of his glass with narrowed eyes. He didn't appreciate Jessie's humor at all, "it's not as funny as you think, Jessie."

Jessie tilted her head to the side with a half-hearted smile, "I think it is, Harold."

Harold's jaw twitched. If anyone was to find out, they'd laugh at him, "I guess it says more about you than of me."

Jessie shifted onto her left side, and arched a brow, "and what does it say?" Jessie could sense his irritation. She'd encountered many men like Harold, who'd disliked her toying ways.

"Dyke," he grinned and lifted his glass in salute. Jessie shrugged and Harold was about to walk off with pride, before he noticed Marilyn standing behind Jessie with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Doctor Fleming, meet me in my office," Marilyn said.

Harold's eyes widened, and Jessie couldn't cover up her amusement. As a laugh escaped her lips, a grunt escaped his, "Doctor Isles, it's not what it looked like," Harold closed the door behind him, and wiped his palms against his trousers. Marilyn had always made him nervous.

"I won't tolerate such snarls in my practice, Doctor Fleming. If you have something against the LGBT+ community, you shouldn't be working here."

The client list consisted of many people who were a part of the LGBT+ community. Marilyn's practice advertised awareness for equality, and assured it without any discrimination. If Harold was homophobic, she wondered how well he actually treated patients, "of course not. If you're asking if I'm homophobic, I'm not."

Marilyn wasn't certain if she should believe Harold. But, nevertheless, she'd never received any complaints from patients regarding him, "just don't throw remarks like that at your coworkers. It's unflattering, and creates a hostile work environment."

Harold nodded, "I'm sorry, Doctor Isles. I allowed my emotions to get the best of me."

Marilyn exhaled a loud breath, and leaned against her desk. She'd always liked Harold. He was usually quiet and friendly. She was surprised by his little outburst, "you like her a lot, I see," Marilyn said.

Harold's eyes dropped to the floor, and he shrugged, "she's pretty, I guess. Nothing I can't get over. I know you have a no fraternizing policy."

Marilyn nodded, "she's a lesbian, if you weren't sure before. So keep your distance from now on."

Harold noticed the sudden possessive tone in his boss's voice, "will do. I think it's time to call it a night. Goodnight, Doctor Isles."

Marilyn watched Harold leave her office. For sure, she wanted him to stay far away from her assistant.