11

JESSIE JUMPED into a puddle. The splashes of water sprinkled onto her already soaked coat, but caused a smile to grace her face. She crossed the isolated street. A chill of fear rushed up her spine, and rested a heavy weight onto her cervical vertebrae. Her body started to feel timid, and weak under the wrath of the skies. The continuous clicking of her teeth caused her to squirm, as she rushed down the street, running as fast as her two, sore feet could carry her.

There was no place to run into to take some shelter. A shiver escaped her lips, as she attempted to make it across town. But, as she sprinted past a building, she stopped. Her heart raced, and she looked up into the sky. The raindrops plummeted onto her face. She could barely keep her eyes open long enough to clearly see the brightness of the street light above her.

Shivering uncontrollably, she hugged herself with her arms. Her hair clung to her skin. Her eyes scanned the empty street. That's when she spotted someone on the far end of the sidewalk. The girl's eyes caught hers, and her wet lashes flickered in surprise. A gasp escaped her lips, as the girl walked over to her, the rain pounding more vigorously than before.

Jessie wiped her eyes with her fists. She couldn't be seeing correctly, but those sad, brown eyes could only be hers. Lily. Jessie swallowed and stepped forward...

Jessie's eyes shot open. It was just a dream. She flipped onto her stomach, and buried her face into a pillow.

MARILYN PRESSED the doorbell, and crossed her arms over her chest. She'd been worrying all night about Jessie, and didn't sleep a wink.

When the door opened, Jessie stood in front of Marilyn with a blanket draped over her shoulders, "what are you doing here?" That was the first thing to leave Jessie's lips. Marilyn stepped inside without being invited in, and Jessie closed the door.

"I'm worried about you."

Jessie sighed and tightened the blanket around her body, "don't be. I'm fine."

Marilyn looked into Jessie's eyes, "you don't seem to be. You can tell me anything. I know something's bothering you."

Jessie lowered her eyes to the floor. A lot had been bugging her, more than Marilyn could ever assume, "shouldn't you be at work?" Jessie asked.

Marilyn knew that Jessie was just trying to change the topic, "I pushed all my appointments," Marilyn confessed, making Jessie's stomach flip. Jessie closed her eyes, and tried to calm her hormones down.

"You didn't need to do that. I'm fine, Doctor Isles," not even Jessie believed herself. She wasn't fine in the slightest.

"Jess," Marilyn placed her hands on Jessie's shoulders, and stepped forward. Their bodies being so close together made both of their hearts pound, synchronizing even, "I'm here, okay?"

Such reassurance made Jessie's eyes well up. Why did Marilyn have to care? It made her thoughts even more confusing than before, "I... I..."

"It's okay," Marilyn pulled Jessie into her. Jessie's cheek rested onto Marilyn's shoulder, as Marilyn traced circles on the back of her neck.

It was the closest that they'd ever been to each other. And every breath that they took, they both savored the comfort, "why do you care so much?" Jessie whispered, as her tears subsided. Marilyn moved her hands to cup Jessie's face, and looked into Jessie's eyes.

"You know why I do," Marilyn dropped her hands, and stepped back, making Jessie regret their embrace. Why did she have to be so vulnerable? It was unappealing and unnecessary.

"I... I guess I do. Did you really push your appointments?" Jessie asked.

Marilyn nodded and stuffed her fingers into the pockets of her jeans, "I did."