20 | Departure

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Twenty
DEPARTURE
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter TwentyDEPARTURE└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

Without further discussion, we head down the slope. In fact, there's little discussion between us at all. We move at a pretty good clip, one manning the coil, the others keeping watch. About halfway down, we hear the clicking beginning to rise, indicating it's after eleven.

"Better hurry," Johanna says. "I want it put a lot of distance between me and that water before the lightning hits. Just in case Volts miscalculated something."

"I'll take the coil for a while," Katniss says. It's harder work laying out the wire than guarding, and she's had a long turn.

"Here," Johanna says, passing her the coil.

Both of their hands are still on the mental cylinder when there's a slight vibration. Suddenly the thin golden wire from above springs down at us, brunching in tangled loops and curls around our wrists. Then the served end snakes up to our feet.

It takes only a second to register this rapid turn of events. Johanna, Katniss, and I look at each other, but neither of us has to say it. Someone not far from above us has cut the wire. And they will be on us at any moment.

My hands close around the feathers of my arrows as I see Johanna take the coil from Katniss and smashes it against the side of her head. She gets knocked down into the vines, I sit down on her chest, pinning her at the shoulders with my knees.

I take a knife and stab it into her left forearm. She tries to jerk away, but she is still too incapacitated. I dig into her flesh, twisting it around. I wipe down her arm and coat half of her face with her blood. "Stay down!" I hiss as I stand up.

Johanna grabs my hand and pushes us into the nearby bushes. Footsteps are coming. Two pairs. Heavy, not trying to conceal their whereabouts.

Brutus's voice. "She's good as dead! Come one, Enobaria!" Feet moving into the night.

"We need to go back to the others. Tell them that the plan won't work as we had planned." I say and Johanna agrees and the two of us take off into the jungle. Walking down the hill a few minutes ago had been easy but running up it isn't. The adrenaline that runs through our veins helps a lot.

The insects, possibly excited by the smell of blood, have increased their clicking until it's a continuous roar in my ears. The boom of a cannon pulls me up short. Someone has died. I know that with everyone running around armed and scared right now, it could be anyone.

"You go to Beetee, make sure he's okay, I'll find Finnick," Johanna says.

I hesitate on this, "Okay, but make sure Finnick is okay for me then." She nods her head and takes off running in the other direction and I head back to the tree.