TGP Chapter 13: Regret

"What did you regret most in your previous life?"
__________

Li Rong was silent. After a while, she murmured: "I know."

Having said that, she slowly continued: "I am well aware of my situation."

Li Ming loved Consort Rou's son dearly, but he was always on bad terms with Li Chuan, wary of this son whose political views differed from his. He had long thought of deposing the Crown Prince, and she was caught in the middle of everything. It was not easy to depose the Crown Prince, but it was extremely simple to depose a princess.

The Su family was now a prominent family in the imperial court, and Su Rongqing was not someone she could even dream about. Besides, she was only teasing Pei Wenxuan and didn't have any other ideas.

It was rare for her to be so quiet. Pei Wenxuan couldn't help but look over at her. Seeing her downcast eyes and pensive expression, he knew that she was thinking about her own affairs. He hesitated for a moment, wondering if he should speak up, but in the end, he thought it was better to keep quiet.

Things have already reached this point. Li Rong was a smart person and had her own plans.

The two sat in silence and ate fish, then they separately went to sleep, tacitly not mentioning anything about marriage.

Pei Wenxuan leaned against the small slope and closed his eyes. After a while, he had trouble falling asleep, so he reopened his eyes and looked at Li Rong's silhouette in the distance.

The night wind made him clear-headed. Now, he had time to sort out what happened today.

He never thought that Li Rong was also reborn.

He originally thought that he would marry Li Rong in this life, just like in his previous life, forget about Qin Zhenzhen and spend a good lifetime with Li Rong, but now that he thought about it, he assumed that perhaps these goals will not be realized.

50 year old Li Rong was completely different from her 20 year old self. She was cunning and bitter, no different than a flower with thorns, indiscriminately pricking anyone she came in contact with.

Most importantly, 50 year old Li Rong had Su Rongqing in her heart.

That person had been with her for 25 years and even killed her. Perhaps his betrayal would make Li Rong resent him, but love and hate oftentimes coexisted. He could not get in between such deep feelings between them, nor could he tolerate it.

He didn't want his wife to yearn for another person in her heart. This was no different from what 20 year old Li Rong had thought of him back then.

But what can be done if it cannot be tolerated? Li Rong doesn't have a choice, and what about him?

Pei Wenxuan could not help but laugh bitterly. As soon as he brought his eyes up, he saw that Li Rong's back was facing him. She looked rather thin and weak, curled up and tightly hugging herself as she kept her back to him. When a cold wind blew past her, she slightly shivered. Having seen that, after a few moments of hesitation, Pei Wenxuan stood up and picked up the overcoat he had taken off earlier and covered Li Rong with it. He returned to the fireside and closed his eyes.

Li Rong felt a piece of clothing being put on her, but she closed her eyes and didn't say anything. After pulling the clothes up to cover her body for a bit, she remembered that almost all of Pei Wenxuan's clothes were essentially with her.

She hesitated for a moment, then finally spoke up, calling out to him: "Pei Wenxuan."

"Shut up and sleep."