TGP Chapter 24: Visiting the Mountain

“Arrest the murder suspect Pei Wenxuan.”
__

Li Rong felt that she was hallucinating, so she had someone prepare a fragrant, herbal bath without further delay. After washing up, she happily went to bed.

As the two of them fell asleep, an eunuch led by a palace maid hurriedly made their way into Consort Ning’s palace.

Consort Ning was sitting on a high throne, looking at the letter when she heard the maid outside report: “Niangniang, Ming gonggong is seeking an audience.”

Consort Ning paused when she heard this and urgently said, “Call him in!”

A man in his early forties anxiously walked in from outside. Once he entered the hall, he respectfully knelt down. The maids around them understood and promptly withdrew. When Consort Ning saw the person that came, she asked in a low voice: “Is it news from Mother?”

“Princess Ping Le has already brought people to surround the mansion this afternoon, trapping the young masters and the Old Madam inside,” The man quickly spoke up. “Before Princess Ping Le arrived, the Old Madam sent someone to bring a message, saying that the entire Yang family now rests in Niangniang’s hands.”

“Does Mother still need to send word about this?!” Consort Ning anxiously shouted. The man’s expression did not change. He only said, “Niangniang, please remain calm.”

Consort Ning said nothing. She took a deep breath and stepped back, taking a seat off to the side.

Ming Hui was the informant the Yang family arranged in the Palace. He would not directly come and find her if the situation was not urgent. She took a moment to calm down then looked up and said, “Why are you here?”

“Just now, Tuoba Yan sent word that the account books have been stolen.”

Consort Ning was stunned when she heard this. She did not know how to react to that for some time. After a while, she finally understood and said in utter disbelief, “He actually kept account books?”

“Yes,” Ming Hui had a cold look in his eyes, “And he also said that there is more than one set of records.”

This was a threat.

Consort Ning sat on her high chair, dazed and speechless.

At the present, her father and brothers had suffered crushing defeat on the battlefield, her nephew was beheaded by a destitute legitimate son of the Pei family, and all the womenfolk and children were trapped in the mansion by a little girl. The entire family from top to bottom could only rely on her.

Ming Hui saw that Consort Ning was lost in her thoughts, so he waited for some time before reminding her: “Niangniang, there is not much time left. A decision needs to be made soon in regards to the account books.”

“Who took the account books?”

Consort Ning thought for a moment, then she looked at Ming Hui, and Ming Hui lifted up a portrait: “This is a portrait provided by Tuoba Yan, saying that it might be these two people. This servant has seen it. It is Her Highness Ping Le, and…” Ming Hui raised his head and coldly said, “Pei Wenxuan.”

Hearing this, Consort Ning seemed to find it rather absurd and couldn’t help but laugh and rhetorically ask, “Pei Wenxuan?”

As she spoke, she disbelievingly asked: “That Pei Wenxuan that killed Quan’er?!”

“Yes.”

“Going too far…” Consort Ning took a step back, her chest violently rising and falling, “This little brat is going too far!”