Chapter 4: Chasm

I placed my feet at the edge of Portum, allowing the water to wash over my toes. Once I could hear Liam behind me, I glanced back briefly and waved. After being sure he acknowledged me, I dove in. We had a good system here. I didn't bother him, and he didn't bother me.

Listening to the sound of my breath, heightened by the gear around my head, I looked towards the chasm. I knew the food from yesterday was stashed, so I had plenty of time. My stomach twisted as I mustered the mental nudge I needed to move my limbs. I swam to the darkest area of the ocean. Hovering over the chasm, I felt as if something would come out to grab me. The hidden that lies in the darkness unsettles me, yet I couldn't help but stare into its vast unknown. My breath remained caught as I lost myself in its beauty.

Something gentle brushed against my arm like a whisper. Spinning around my eyes were caught by the little oceans in his. The soul shone through those pools of deep blue filled me with a sense of calm.

You don't have to fear him.

He cocked his head to the side and looked at me. Before I could compose myself, he moved away from me towards the chasm.

You just had to stare.

Refocusing my attention towards the boy, I noticed him beside a large boulder at the edge of the chasm. After grabbing something up in one hand, he starts his way back up to me.

Before me once more, he gestures to the substance which now lies in his right hand. I didn't quite understand what it was. It was green mush as far as I could tell, and I couldn't decipher what he was trying to tell me about it. He looked a little frustrated at my confused features and swam around me. I spin with him, not wanting to expose my back to him. He stops abruptly, looking quite put out. I was baffled. Before realizing what he was doing he takes his fingernail to his right wrist and makes a small cut, drawing blood. My hands moved towards him, quick to grip around the cut to stop the bleeding.

We had to get above water, the scab won't form beneath the water. His skin felt surprisingly smooth, no wrinkles defining the effects of osmosis.

Can he even go above water?

Surely, right?

Catching his eyes once more amidst frantic looks towards the surface, he placed a hand over mine. He stared deeply, grabbing every ounce of my attention. In a familiar motion, he tilts his head to the side. With a sweet caress, he lifts my hand from the cut.

My fears were muffled by the careful actions. I watched as he took a bit of the substance and rubbed it on his fresh injury. He looked up through his lashes, offering a hopeful demeanor.

My back.

I glanced over my shoulder, hesitant to meet his eyes again.

Did he want to help me?

I forced myself to look over once more and met his curious gaze. I remained unmoving, uncertain. Cautiously, respectfully, he neared me, never breaking the lock between our eyes till my neck would no longer allow the connection. After a few moments of stillness, a soft sensation danced across my shoulder. Hair now fluttered in the corner of my vision as his fingertips grazed the exposed skin above the zipper. I reached backwards, nervously attempting to assist with the zipper. Managing to pull it past my shoulder blades with nervous hands, he took over. Pulling it down to my hips, I felt exposed even though it was just my back. I felt as he tugged at the cloth covering my injuries, then the cold, weird feel of the green substance as he traced them gently. A tickle ran up my spine at the sensation.

Once he finished, he made an attempt to carefully pull the cloth back up over my scratches. I took over, pulling my zipper back up. Turning to face him once more, I felt a little awkward. I watched as he brushed off the excess greenery from his hands. Once he looked up I was unable to think of a next move. His kind gesture affirmed my trust in him, yet our communication was solely that of expression.