25. Two Weeks to Hear the Story

I've never been broken up with before

I've never been broken up with before. Not unless I counted that one time in second grade when my pretend husband from kindergarten decided to sit with another girl on the bus.

Focusing on breakup clothes and hairstyles wasn't really what I should have been doing. I knew that. Even so, it was the only thing I could focus on without that uncomfortable clenching sensation taking over my chest. That's how I ended up Googling what one wears for a breakup and, in a moment of true irony, clicked the I'm Feeling Lucky button.

The Vogue article that popped up on my screen didn't exactly fit my current scenario. The first sentence, however, seemed especially ridiculous for my current situation.

Our deepest condolences.

There should have been no condolences for me. I never wanted to date this guy in the first place. This should have been a moment of celebration. But I didn't feel like celebrating.

It was probably because this wasn't about to end on my terms. In fact, it would end because I said the wrong thing at the wrong time. Pretty much on brand for me though.

Sighing, I clicked out of the article and skipped through a few other ones that showed up before snapped the screen of my laptop shut. I leaned my forehead against the on top of it and groaned. Whether I wore a sexy outfit that would 'make him regret it', something badass that proved 'I didn't need no man', or a soft and sweet combo that would make it 'hard to break my heart'... It wouldn't matter.

Hearts weren't involved in this. We both knew that there was nothing between us except for a fake relationship.

The lump in my throat was just regret that I hadn't uncovered any secrets or put a stop to Noah Archer's heartbreaker scheme. That was all. It had to be.

I ended up putting on my favorite pair of dark jeans, a purple sweater

I ended up putting on my favorite pair of dark jeans, a purple sweater. It wasn't that cold outside and I already felt myself stress-sweating so I opted out of a coat. My mom had gone out with some friends for dinner and I took the 20 dollars she'd left for pizza from the table, just in case.

This was the first time I was out the door before Noah was set to arrive. Standing around inside was just making me more anxious than I already was but waiting for him so eagerly wasn't making me feel any better either.