Chapter 7: Many, Many Stairs

——————————🌺——————————

Mirabel and (Y/n) stood in front of Bruno's door. Mirabel turned the doorknob and pushed it open to reveal a doorway shaped like an hourglass that had a waterfall of sand coming down in front of it.

"Casita, can you turn off the sand?" Mirabel asked.

Casita flapped the tiles outside the door.

"You can't help in here?" (Y/n) realized.

Casita flipped her tiles in response.

"We'll be fine. I need to do this. For you, for Abuela, maybe a little for me." She admitted.

Mirabel grabbed (Y/n)'s hand.

"Find the vision. Save the..." Mirabel took one step through the sand and fell, dragging (Y/n) with her.

The two fell a few feet and landed on a pile of sand, sliding down it. Mirabel slid to a stop on her face, while (Y/n) slid down on her butt.

(Y/n) stood up, brushing the sand from her dress and hair before helping Mirabel stand up. She snickered when she saw that her glasses were filled with sand. Mirabel removed her glasses and wiped the sand out of her eyes.

"Whoa. This is amazing." (Y/n) commented.

In front of the two, was a giant spiral staircase that seemed to lead up to Bruno's room.

"Wow." Mirabel breathed.

Suddenly, a bird landed on a rock next to them.

"Awe, hey there little friend." (Y/n) cooed.

The toucan squawked in response.

"Lot of stairs." Mirabel commented at the bird. "But, at least we'll have a friend." The bird flew off. "No. He flew away immediately."

(Y/n) snickered and Mirabel playfully nudged her.

"Well, we better get climbing."

...

"Welcome to the Family Madrigal." Mirabel started to hum.

...

"There's so many stairs in the casa Madrigal." (Y/n) panted.

...

"You think there would be another way to get so high cause we're magic, but no." Mirabel was practically crawling up the stairs now.

...

"Ugh! How many stairs could you possibly fit in one room?!" (Y/n) groaned.

"Tío Bruno, your room is the worst!" Mirabel shouted.

...

They finally crawled their way up the stairs, and were met with a new problem. A huge chunk of the bridge that led inside Bruno's temple was broken.

Mirabel groaned and (Y/n) muttered an "are you kidding me?"

Mirabel made a makeshift rope swing by lassoing it onto a rock on the other side.

"Okay, we can do this." Mirabel said, as she and (Y/n) clutched onto the rope for dear life.

They took a deep breath, and jumped off one side and swung across the to the other side and safely landed on their feet.

"Ha. Whoo!" Mirabel cheered and (Y/n) gave her a high five.

Their celebration was short lived however, as a chunk of rock from the ledge they were standing on broke, and the two girls jumped back.