Chapter Twenty Four

Rúben

I wake up earlier than I wanted to because of the jet lag, so I decide to make Christina and me something to eat for breakfast.

When I'm done finishing the first batch of protein pancakes, she shows up in the kitchen. No longer wearing my top, sadly, but her City clothes.

"Morning".

"Morning, I made us some breakfast".

"Thank you", she says, studying my face. "You look better. Did you sleep well?"

"It took me a while to fall asleep, but then I had a good rest".

"Nice".

We sit at the table to eat when she asks me for my plans for the day.

"Well, I'm going to drive you to work and I'll stay there at the gym".

"Rúben", she says, sounding annoyed. "Can't you take a day off? Really?"

I chuckle. "Going to the gym will help me mentally. You'll thank me later. You don't want to live with a grumpy version of me".

"Whatever you say", she says, playfully rolling her eyes. "And, speaking of that, I'll go see another apartment after work. I have a couple of options I like, so I might be able to move there soon".

That was not something I wanted to hear. A part of me had forgotten that was her plan. I just want her to stay here with me forever.

"Right", I say, not knowing how to approach this subject. "Just know that there is no hurry, ok? Make sure you find the perfect place. And in a safe area. There are so many things you have to think about".

She gives me an amused look. "Do you have a map of the areas with the highest rate of crimes or something?", she laughs.

"Ha ha. Excuse me for worrying about you".

She chuckles again and gets up to finish getting ready for work. And I'm left here, wondering when she'll leave me. Will just seeing her at work be enough?

**

"I'll walk you to your office", I tell Christina when we get to the training centre.

"What a gentleman you are", she winks.

On our way there, I find a lot of people who come to give me their support. Yeah, it's nice being back here. I know I'll be taken care of.

"Hey Chris!", I hear Kirby say. "And Rúben! Hi!"

"Hi Kirby, you ok?"

"Yes, happy to have you back", she says, and then adds. "I mean, not happy you lost. You know what I mean. Right?"

"I do", I say with a chuckle.

"So yeah, that. Happy to have you back, but...don't steal Christina from me now, ok?", she says laughing and hugging Christina.

"Awww, you're going to fight over me? Cute!"

"No, we won't", says Kirby looking at me. "Because we know who will win".

When I look at Christina, she's blushing.

"Well, I'll go to the gym and you two can go to work. I'll see you later?", I say, looking at Christina.

"Yeah, I should be back around 6, after visiting the apartment I told you about".

"Right", I say, trying not to sound too annoyed by that. "See you then".

A couple of hours at the gym and then a whole afternoon waiting for Christina. Though I guess I could occupy myself with something to pass the time. And I know exactly what to do.