Chapter 58

Rosalie grabbed Nichole before she leaped out of the window, landing on a nearby roof. Looking behind her, she could see that Aro and a couple of his followers were hot on her tail.

Nichole groaned, coming out of her haze just a little bit. "You need to kill him." She whispered. "That's the only way that this is going to end, either he dies or I do."

rosalie shook her head. "As much as I would love to have the joy of killing him, we need to get you back to Carlisle before you lose this baby."

Taking different twists and turns through the city, Rosalie managed to lose Aro for the time being.

"We're going to have to work fast," Carlisle said as Nichole was laid down on a bed. "She's lost too much blood as it is. Emmett, get me my tools. Alice, you need to make sure that Jasper stays out of here."

The two vampires in question nodded, running off to their various tasks.

Once Carlisle received his tools, he started his work. It took what seemed like hours, and everyone else waited impatiently outside of the room.

Bella was pacing back and forth, chewing nervously on her nails.

"Bella, you need to come over here and sit down, calm down a little bit," Edward said to her. "You keep on chewing your nails like that, you're going to make your fingers bleed."

"Well, it's not like she can just sit down and not worry." Jacob snapped at him. "It's not like her best friend's life is at stake or anything."

Edward pressed his lips together in a thin line. "Did you forget that's my sister in there?" He said cooly.

"Well, you're awfully calm for someone who supposedly loves his sister so much."

"That's enough!" Jared snapped at the two of them. "Nichole is in there, possibly dying, and the only thing that the two of you can do is bicker. I don't care what you have to do to settle down, go to different rooms, or whatever the hell you need to do, but don't fight in here. I think that I can speak for everyone when I say that we aren't going to deal with your bullshit."

Jacob had stood up, and he was about to make a retort when the loud cry of a baby could be heard.

Carlisle came out of the other room, holding a bundle in his arms. "It's a boy." He announced, a smile on his face.

Jacob slowly walked forward, and Carlisle placed the child in his arms. The baby had Jacob's dark hair and skin complexion, but had Nichole's warm eyes and her nose.

"I can't believe it," Jacob whispered, his finger tracing the child's face. "He's so...he's just perfect." He looked up at Carlisle. "Nichole, is she..."

"She should pull through," Carlisle responded, and everyone in the room let out a sigh of relief. "The blade didn't go too deep luckily. She's resting now, and with enough rest and recovery time, she should pull through."

"And what about Aro?" Rosalie asked. "What are we going to do about him? Nichole had a point when she told me that this wouldn't end until either she died or Aro did."

"He is going to have to die," Carlisle responded, and he didn't seem too thrilled with the idea. It wasn't because he liked Aro, but he just hated the idea of having to kill another person.

"So what are we going to do then?" Alice asked him.

"We need to gather people. Aro has his followers, people that are loyal to him. Well, we need to gather all the people that are loyal to us. If it's a war that Aro wants, then it's a war that he's going to get. Alice, I want you and Jasper to go to Egypt, talk to the Cairo coven. Emmett and Rosalie, you go and talk to the Denali coven. Jared, I want you to see if you can get word to Sam and see if he can't come with a few of the other wolves. Edward, do you think that you would be able to talk to the Amazon coven?"

Edward nodded his head. "I've spoken to them a few times before and we've been on relatively good terms."

"What about me?" Jacob asked.

"Jacob, I want you and Bella to stay here with Nichole, she's going to need the support." He then turned to Nichole's mother. "Rachel, do you think that you could go with Esme and speak to the Romanian coven? I know that you're not the biggest fan of us vampires-"

"My daughter's life is at stake," Rachel responded. "When it comes to Nichole, I would move the world."

"That goes for the both of us," Esme added, and the two women shared a smile.

"I'm going to remain here and make sure that Nichole's health doesn't decline any further," Carlisle said. "Everyone be careful when you leave, make sure that you aren't followed. I don't want everyone to leave at once because that would draw too much attention, have there be half-hour intervals between departures. Do what you have to to get the covens to join us, I don't care what it takes, it's going to take every single one of us to destroy Aro and the Volturi."

There was something in his eyes that none of the Cullens had seen before. There was vengeance in his eyes. His daughter had been hurt, and Carlisle would make sure that there was hell to pay.